toller

Default Repairing burst flexible copper

I must not have drained my cottage pipes too well, because three of them
burst. Two are rigid copper and easily accessable, but one is flexible
copper where there is only 16" between the ground and the floor joists. I
am not looking forward to it.

I have never worked on flexible copper before, but am not at all confident
that it is still round. Will I have any problem sweating fitting on the it?
Any great advice on this?

Is there anyway to mend the break? It is in a place where a leak will not
do any damage, so I don't need 100% certainty; I can alway just cut out the
mend if it doesn't work. I have fiberglass and epoxy; is that worth a try?
Fiberglass won't be fun in that little space, but will be better than trying
to replace the damaged section. Any other ideas?

thanks

I did everything the same as years before, except that after I drained, I
closed the valves; figuring I could save myself a trip into the crawl space
in Spring. I can't imagine where the water came from, but it did. Live and
learn.

Doug Miller

In article , "toller" wrote:
I must not have drained my cottage pipes too well, because three of them
burst. Two are rigid copper and easily accessable, but one is flexible
copper where there is only 16" between the ground and the floor joists. I
am not looking forward to it.

I have never worked on flexible copper before, but am not at all confident
that it is still round. Will I have any problem sweating fitting on the it?
Any great advice on this?

Cut out the damaged section, and splice in a replacement using compression
fittings.

--
Regards,

Edwin Pawlowski

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

Cut out the damaged section, and splice in a replacement using compression
fittings.

Even better, splice in a piece of PEX and it will not burst as easily.

ive soldered in repair sections on soft copper .easy as hard copper

toller

wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:31:16 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , "toller"
wrote:
I must not have drained my cottage pipes too well, because three of them
burst. Two are rigid copper and easily accessable, but one is flexible
copper where there is only 16" between the ground and the floor joists.
am not looking forward to it.

I have never worked on flexible copper before, but am not at all
confident
that it is still round. Will I have any problem sweating fitting on the
it?
Any great advice on this?

Cut out the damaged section, and splice in a replacement using compression
fittings.

This sounds easy, but if the pipe froze, the copper expanded and the
pipe is larger than it should be. It's often not possible to get a
compression fitting on it, once it expanded. You may have to replace
the whole section of flexible pipe. As for the rigid pipe, that too
expands, but usually not as much. If you are able to get back where
there was no water, you can often sweat there. I bought a house years
ago that was all plumbed with flex pipe, and it had frozen I spent
hours trying to patch the stuff, and finally just replaced everything
with rigid copper. If you try to hammer a coupler on an expanded
pipe, you are unlikely to get a good sweat joint. I also tried to
flare the ends and use flare fittings. The problem there, the pieces
wont slip on the pipe because the pipe is too large from being
expanded.

Thanks. I was debating whether to replace the whole section or just the
broken spots; probably faster to do the whole section than fuss with
expanded pipe.

Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
type of copper to use to repipe house Ron Home Repair 42 February 9th 05 03:59 PM
copper and gasoline [email protected] Metalworking 28 January 9th 05 08:10 PM
1/2 inch flexible copper -- grades? gauges? Dennis Home Repair 4 November 24th 04 07:54 PM
Determining Geologic Sources of Native American Copper Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 92 June 23rd 04 05:21 PM