Default wrong caulk? what a mess

Last month we put in a tub surround and used
DAP=AE ALEX PLUS=AE Acrylic Latex Caulk Plus Silicone
behind it at the bottom where it meets the tub and around every seam. I
guess this was the wrong caulk.

Now the stuff is just a white goo at the bottom surround seam that
meets the tub and doesn't hold back water. It is a mess.

I'm wanting to put down G.E. Silicone II Bathroom Tub & Tile Sealant as
a replacement.

My question is, should I pull the new tub surround from the walls and
clean out the previous caulk behind the surround at the bottom and just
start all over? I figure the new surround will need to be replaced
after pulling it from the wall. Oh geez....

Or, after I clean up the bottom and the seams, then let this whole mess
dry over the weekend, can I apply the new caulk over the existing
surround seams and bottom that meets the tub?

Thanks

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"
Henry David Thoreau

longshot

there's a vinyl tape that bends in at 90 degrees it will outlast any caulk &
you can go right over that white goop. (clean up enough to get a good
surface for the tape to stick.)

This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam Alarm
from Dignity Software http://www.dignitysoftware.com
wrote in message
oups.com...
Last month we put in a tub surround and used
DAP® ALEX PLUS® Acrylic Latex Caulk Plus Silicone
[...]

Chris Lewis

According to :
Last month we put in a tub surround and used
DAP® ALEX PLUS® Acrylic Latex Caulk Plus Silicone
behind it at the bottom where it meets the tub and around every seam. I
guess this was the wrong caulk.

Now the stuff is just a white goo at the bottom surround seam that
meets the tub and doesn't hold back water. It is a mess.

Interesting. I've found the ALEX PLUS caulk to be the best
value in caulk I've ever used (and I've used _many_) for general
exterior use.

[It's cheap, and is at least as easy to use and durable as any other
except for caulk costing many times as much.]

I've never had it run. But, I've never used on a shower stall/surround/tub.

Or, after I clean up the bottom and the seams, then let this whole mess
dry over the weekend, can I apply the new caulk over the existing
surround seams and bottom that meets the tub?

You should just have to clean it out and redo it with pure silicone.
Like GE-II.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
William W. Plummer

I have made many messes with the Silicone glop. Now, I use masking
tape and some generic caulk. A wet finger smooths the joints. And I
keep a wet rag to clean my finger(s). I've been very happy with the
results. Maybe I'll try silicone with masking tape, but why bother.
MLD

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Might not be applicable, but I ran into a similar problem a while back. I
used the GE Silicone II Bathroom Tub & Tile Sealant too. The cause of the
problem (never cured and remained gooey) was the related to the fact that
the Silcone was out of date. Yup, take a good look on the cartridge and you
will see an "Use by date". Bought it at Home Depot, returned it and the new
one has a date several years hence---it worked just fine.
MLD

Ok, just got back from the Hardware store I bought the stuff from.
The older man said he sold me the
DAP Kwik Seal Tub & Tile Adhesive Caulk

I don't see a date on it anywhere. No telling how old the stuff is
then? No web site or 800 number to call...
The only DAP contact info on it is Phone: BR549... just kidding

I'm going to clean it up and let it dry over the weekend then apply the
G.E. Silicone II Bathroom Tub & Tile Sealant.

I'm driving into the city to a big store and get the GE stuff

Tony Hwang

William W. Plummer wrote:

I have made many messes with the Silicone glop. Now, I use masking
tape and some generic caulk. A wet finger smooths the joints. And I
keep a wet rag to clean my finger(s). I've been very happy with the
results. Maybe I'll try silicone with masking tape, but why bother.

Hi,
Masking tape when caulking? Wow!
I just use my wet finger and rag like mentioned, turns our pro looking
job every time.
Tony
Ron

Ok, just got back from the Hardware store I bought the stuff from. The
older man said he sold me the
DAP Kwik Seal Tub & Tile Adhesive Caulk

Having used that "stuff" in my trade (glass) back in the EIGHTIES, that
crap is like white diarrhea in a tube.

Let it seep out overnight, clean up the excess, and use your GE SILICONE
to seal the outside of your tub.

You may even want to wait a couple of days to make sure it has stopped
running out before applying the silicone.

Btw, just wipe up the excess with a dry paper towel or rag, water will
reactivate that crap...LOL