MLD

wrote in message
oups.com...
Last month we put in a tub surround and used
DAP® ALEX PLUS® Acrylic Latex Caulk Plus Silicone
behind it at the bottom where it meets the tub and around every seam. I
guess this was the wrong caulk.

Now the stuff is just a white goo at the bottom surround seam that
meets the tub and doesn't hold back water. It is a mess.

I'm wanting to put down G.E. Silicone II Bathroom Tub & Tile Sealant as
a replacement.

My question is, should I pull the new tub surround from the walls and
clean out the previous caulk behind the surround at the bottom and just
start all over? I figure the new surround will need to be replaced
after pulling it from the wall. Oh geez....

Or, after I clean up the bottom and the seams, then let this whole mess
dry over the weekend, can I apply the new caulk over the existing
surround seams and bottom that meets the tub?

Thanks

Might not be applicable, but I ran into a similar problem a while back. I
used the GE Silicone II Bathroom Tub & Tile Sealant too. The cause of the
problem (never cured and remained gooey) was the related to the fact that
the Silcone was out of date. Yup, take a good look on the cartridge and you
will see an "Use by date". Bought it at Home Depot, returned it and the new
one has a date several years hence---it worked just fine.
MLD