Dave_s

Default Water spots-car window

Hi,

What product or home DIY solution will remove water spots from car
window?
Alchol, Vinegar do not remove those round spots.
Windex, BonAmi "Glass and Window Cleaner" do not. These are the spot
where the
lawn sprinkler water hits the window glass.

Thank you, Dave_s
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 20 Apr 2005 05:46:45a, Dave_s wrote in alt.home.repair:

Hi,

What product or home DIY solution will remove water spots from car
window?
Alchol, Vinegar do not remove those round spots.
Windex, BonAmi "Glass and Window Cleaner" do not. These are the spot
where the
lawn sprinkler water hits the window glass.

Thank you, Dave_s

Rain-X?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
m Ransley

Zud, it is like comet and sold in the same area , good for restoring old
glass that is semi etched.

Suzie-Q

In article , Dave_s
wrote:

- Hi,
-
- What product or home DIY solution will remove water spots from car
- window?
- Alchol, Vinegar do not remove those round spots.
- Windex, BonAmi "Glass and Window Cleaner" do not. These are the spot
- where the
- lawn sprinkler water hits the window glass.
-
- Thank you, Dave_s

You're talking about calcium and lime from the city water. I'd
try CLR or Lime Away, but I'd be very careful not to get it on
the car's finish.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
Duane Bozarth

Dave_s wrote:

Hi,

What product or home DIY solution will remove water spots from car
window?
Alchol, Vinegar do not remove those round spots.
Windex, BonAmi "Glass and Window Cleaner" do not. These are the spot
where the
lawn sprinkler water hits the window glass.

The vinegar will w/ effort...it's "hard" water spotting which is mostly
Ca salts left behind when the water evaporates...you need a weak acid to
re-dissolve the salts and then dry.

Gideon

Dave,

Here is a "reprint" of a reply I posted recently on an auto newsgroup:

There is only one thing needed for removing water spots caused by hard water -
vinegar. It works equally well and safely on auto paint and is the only smart
way to remove water spots before waxing a vehicle. FYI - the moderately acidic
content of rain water will also remove water spots over time, but it is a
painfully long process.

The spots that you get from home water on your car are caused by the calcium
and magnesium deposits from the water. These should be easily removed
by any weak acid. Stronger acids work faster, but shouldn't be necessary
and are obviously dangerous. White vinegar is preferred, but any vinegar will
work. Do not dilute the vinegar.

Extremely fine steel wool can speed up the process but shouldn't be necessary.
A plastic scrubber such as the type used on Teflon pans or the type used to
speed up bug & tar removal on auto finishes is a better option on auto glass.

Soft Scrub is moderately safe and works on problems other than water spots.
But I wouldn't use such an abrasive if vinegar alone solves the problem. I've
used Soft Scrub on home windows and been happy with the results, but extremely
fine scratching on a car windshield can be much more noticable. I would
contact the manufacturer or test the Soft Scrub before using it on a
windshield.

(To test the Soft Scrub, try it on a scrap piece of very clean glass. Use a
power polisher with a very clean buffing bonnet. Continually re-hydrate the
Soft Scrub while doing a lot of polishing in one spot on the glass. Wash and
rinse well and observe the glass for fine scratches under a variety of angles
and a variety of lighting. If no scratches are observed then the Soft Scrub
should be safe, assuming that the auto glass is equally hard. Don't use
the power buffer on the auto glass!)

Once again, if vinegar doesn't remove the spots fairly easily, then the spots
are not hard water spots. And remember to wash and rinse glass well before
rubbing hard to remove anything from the glass. Glass is commonly scratched
by the abrasive action of the dirt which is being rubbed off. Towel dry the
glass before applying the vinegar so that you are not diluting the vinegar with
the rinse water left on the glass.

If you can't remove the spots with pure, undiluted white vinegar, then you
can test a very small area on the windshied with "Lime Away". This stronger
concentration of acid should definitely remove water spots quickly, although
I can't vouch its safety around auto finishes, etc. I would use a plastic
scrubber or superfine "OOOO" grade steel wool before resorting to a stronger
acid.

Even with vinegar, rinse well and moderately long when done. The acid from
the glass will run down between body panels when you rinse and you want
to flush out all of it.

Good luck,
Gideon

Percival P. Cassidy

I've never seen Zud, but Comet scratched my windshield.

Perce

On 04/20/05 09:26 am m Ransley tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Zud, it is like comet and sold in the same area , good for restoring old
glass that is semi etched.

m Ransley

Zud is different than Comet ,it even says it is for glass, I believe it
has a mild acid in it.

Martin

"Dave_s" wrote in message
Hi,

What product or home DIY solution will remove water spots from car
window?
Alchol, Vinegar do not remove those round spots.
Windex, BonAmi "Glass and Window Cleaner" do not. These are the spot
where the
lawn sprinkler water hits the window glass.

Thank you, Dave_s

What is the source of your sprinkler water? If it's the same as your
drinking water, then some of the methods suggested here may be the answer.
But if you're tied into a "non-potable" line, those spots are likely etched
into the glass.

In many areas today runoff and sewage treatment plant effluent are reclaimed
for irrigation use. I can tell you from firsthand experience that it will
etch glass and considerable polishing is needed to remove the spots.
Keeping the sprinklers from hitting the windows was the final solution.

MUADIB®

Don't laugh until you try this..............
Cut a potato in half, and use the flat side to rub your window. The
"mild" acid or alkali in the potato will do wonders and for almost
nothing money wise. Like I said,.............Don;t laugh until you try
it.

I have no idea where I got this from. But I have done it and it worked
for me. I suppose it's one of those Marth Stewart Things.

What product or home DIY solution will remove water spots from car
window?
Alchol, Vinegar do not remove those round spots.
Windex, BonAmi "Glass and Window Cleaner" do not. These are the spot
where the
lawn sprinkler water hits the window glass.

Thank you, Dave_s

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.

Gideon

The potato should work reasonably well, although I'd prefer to not get the
potato starch all over the windows. The potato contains a few mild acids,
including phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is a commonly used mild acid for
lime removal and was once the main ingredient in "Lime Away".

Isn't there an old grade school experiment in which a "battery" (actually a
"cell") is constructed using a potato?

I would imagine that a lemon, orange or grapefruit cut in half would also work.
The acid content should be higher and the acid juice should be more "mobile."

Gideon

================================

MUADIB® wrote in message ...
[...]

Dee

Sounds like that might be good for a windshield that was lightly scratched
by a neglected wiper blade.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Zud is different than Comet ,it even says it is for glass, I believe it
has a mild acid in it.

Chuck B.

MUADIB® wrote in message ...
[...]

Try Coca Cola! Just don't get it on the paint. Works great.

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM
Grounding Rod Info Mark Wilson Home Repair 37 July 19th 03 02:34 PM