DiezMon

Default Electric radiant floor heat from scratch?

Hello all,

I've been reading up on electric in-floor radiant heat. I see there are
several manufacturers and distributors out there, and various types.

My question is.. why couldn't one just get a supply of nicrome wire and
construct their own system? I know you'd have to deal with temp/voltage
control and those basic things, but it seems to me it'd be cheaper to go
this route.

The only unknown that does come to mind(since I'm no EE) is what kind of
electrical field would be generated. I've seen some systems that claim they
emit no electrical field of any kind.

Thanks for any input!

Tim

"DiezMon" wrote in message
Hello all,

I've been reading up on electric in-floor radiant heat. I see there are
several manufacturers and distributors out there, and various types.

My question is.. why couldn't one just get a supply of nicrome wire and
construct their own system? I know you'd have to deal with temp/voltage
control and those basic things, but it seems to me it'd be cheaper to go
this route.

The only unknown that does come to mind(since I'm no EE) is what kind of
electrical field would be generated. I've seen some systems that claim

they
emit no electrical field of any kind.

Thanks for any input!

Tim

You can do whatever you want...
When it goes POP and burns your home down, be sure to let the insurance
company know that you were trying to re-invent the wheel.

Its not as simple as running a wire of unknown diameter, an unknown TEL, and
getting heat..altho..you might get more than you barganed for...or none..its
an awful expensive test you are wanting to run there..

RicodJour

DiezMon wrote:
Hello all,

I've been reading up on electric in-floor radiant heat. I see there

are
several manufacturers and distributors out there, and various types.

My question is.. why couldn't one just get a supply of nicrome wire

and
construct their own system? I know you'd have to deal with

temp/voltage
control and those basic things, but it seems to me it'd be cheaper to

go
this route.

The only unknown that does come to mind(since I'm no EE) is what kind

of
electrical field would be generated. I've seen some systems that

claim they
emit no electrical field of any kind.

What sort of electrical field does your house wiring generate? Does
that affect you in any way?

As far as whether you could build it a system yourself, sure. Would
you want to? Probably not. You can buy all the parts separately, but
the controls will be designed for a particular cable/system. The stuff
isn't that expensive.