RicodJour

DiezMon wrote:
Hello all,

I've been reading up on electric in-floor radiant heat. I see there

are
several manufacturers and distributors out there, and various types.

My question is.. why couldn't one just get a supply of nicrome wire

and
construct their own system? I know you'd have to deal with

temp/voltage
control and those basic things, but it seems to me it'd be cheaper to

go
this route.

The only unknown that does come to mind(since I'm no EE) is what kind

of
electrical field would be generated. I've seen some systems that

claim they
emit no electrical field of any kind.

What sort of electrical field does your house wiring generate? Does
that affect you in any way?

As far as whether you could build it a system yourself, sure. Would
you want to? Probably not. You can buy all the parts separately, but
the controls will be designed for a particular cable/system. The stuff
isn't that expensive.