Shep

Default Toilet slow to start filling (~2 min)

Bathroom toilet is really slow (not quite trickling) to fill up for
about 2 mimutes after it is flushed and then starts to fill and tops
off quickly after that. Just a slow starter. Any ideas? Is this
something I can take apart and clean out (since it's probably 20+
years old) or do I have to replace?

Thanks !
Doug Miller

In article , Shep wrote:
Bathroom toilet is really slow (not quite trickling) to fill up for
about 2 mimutes after it is flushed and then starts to fill and tops
off quickly after that. Just a slow starter. Any ideas? Is this
something I can take apart and clean out (since it's probably 20+
years old) or do I have to replace?

If it's 20 years old, it's not worth trying to repair the flush-fill
mechanism, but that doesn't mean you have to replace the whole toilet. Go to
your nearest hardware store or home center and get a Fluidmaster.

For six-fifty at Lowe's
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...08-320-400AP75
it's hard to beat.

--
Regards,

Alan Smithee

Shep wrote:
Bathroom toilet is really slow (not quite trickling) to fill up for
about 2 mimutes after it is flushed and then starts to fill and tops
off quickly after that. Just a slow starter. Any ideas? Is this
something I can take apart and clean out (since it's probably 20+
years old) or do I have to replace?

Thanks !

For about $30-$40 you can replace the guts, it's just something that has to
be done once and a while. Washers get hard or worn, build up is inevitable.
I recently put into a new product -- a pressure type valve which replaced
the old float and valve mechanism. A has a small adjustment screw which
allows you to set the water level. My toilet went from taking 2-3 minutes to
now taking less than 30 seconds. Don't forget you still need to have an
overflow pipe for backup and safety reasons.

MUADIB®

I have no idea how old the one in my master bath is, but I had a
similar problem until yesterday. I pulled the guts out and removed a
little corkscrew looking piece of rubber out of the inlet to the
bottom of the filler valve and now it works like it ought to. I am not
entirely sure how it was restricting the flow, but that piece did the
trick......I have taken these things apart many many times in my life
and never seen this piece before. Mayhaps all the ones from my past
were a lot older than this thing is.

Bathroom toilet is really slow (not quite trickling) to fill up for
about 2 mimutes after it is flushed and then starts to fill and tops
off quickly after that. Just a slow starter. Any ideas? Is this
something I can take apart and clean out (since it's probably 20+
years old) or do I have to replace?

Thanks !

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.

Shutting off water to toilet ScrubsFan Home Repair 15 April 6th 05 01:08 AM
Aaargh Killing black growth in toilet w/o killing 22 pound cat 1_Patriotic_Gal Home Repair 16 May 22nd 04 02:31 PM
Toilet Flexible Connector Issues Help! Quddus UK diy 12 January 12th 04 04:32 PM
Raised Toilet Andrew Mawson UK diy 11 December 12th 03 12:19 AM
Replacing leaking toilet Jeremy Taylor UK diy 4 September 11th 03 04:51 PM