rosie read n' post

Default FIBERGLASS front door

i am shopping around for a front door (with glass inserts) and
sidelights.
what do you guys like?
the fiberglass looks ok.....................the steel doors are the
same R value, i'm told but they dent.
i will want the door in dark oak/mahogany finish.

Edwin Pawlowski

"rosie read n' post" wrote in message
i am shopping around for a front door (with glass inserts) and
sidelights.
what do you guys like?
the fiberglass looks ok.....................the steel doors are the
same R value, i'm told but they dent.
i will want the door in dark oak/mahogany finish.

Are you putting up a storm door? If so, the metal doors should not be
painted a dark color. I don't know about the fiberglass. My son painted his
metal door contrary to the instruction from Stanley. He got a burn from it
because of the heat. With no storm door it should be OK.

Buck Turgidson

i am shopping around for a front door (with glass inserts) and
sidelights.
what do you guys like?
the fiberglass looks ok.....................the steel doors are the
same R value, i'm told but they dent.
i will want the door in dark oak/mahogany finish.

I installed a Stanley steel door in 2000, and it just so-so. The rubber
sweep weatherstripping at the bottom starting falling apart the first
year. The steel is very thin and prone to denting. If you have kids,
it won't look good for long.

Consumer Reports had an issue on doors a few months back. They liked
the fiberglass, but noted that they were more expensive.

Home Depot carries "Feather River" doors, which look nice and come in
your desired finish.

William W. Plummer

rosie read n' post wrote:
i am shopping around for a front door (with glass inserts) and
sidelights.
what do you guys like?
the fiberglass looks ok.....................the steel doors are the
same R value, i'm told but they dent.
i will want the door in dark oak/mahogany finish.

The steel door on this house seems to need painted every 5 years or so.
It gets rust spots through the paint and looks terrible. I use
Rust-Oleum which is supposed to prevent rusting. So in the future I use
fiberglass.

Andy Asberry

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:41:58 GMT, "rosie read n' post"
wrote:

i am shopping around for a front door (with glass inserts) and
sidelights.
what do you guys like?
the fiberglass looks ok.....................the steel doors are the
same R value, i'm told but they dent.
i will want the door in dark oak/mahogany finish.

Be sure to check the length (height) of the door. I found that most FG
doors were an inch shorter.
William W. Plummer

wrote:

i am shopping around for a front door (with glass inserts) and
sidelights.
what do you guys like?
the fiberglass looks ok.....................the steel doors are the
same R value, i'm told but they dent.
i will want the door in dark oak/mahogany finish.

Be sure to check the length (height) of the door. I found that most FG
doors were an inch shorter.

Most doors need to be trimmed to the right height. Be sure you consider
the location of the hinges and the lock opening so you can reuse the
existing mounts,
Art

Lowes sells Pella entry doors made out of an improved composite. Fiberglass
changes sizes with temperature. This material is more stable. I have both
at my house and the Pella is better (though also newer since it replaced a
junky Peachtree steel door). Lowes has good prices and the entry doors they
have from Pella are the same quality as the ones at the Pella store but
cheaper. I called up Pella and was told that the only difference was glass
patterns available.

"rosie read n' post" wrote in message
i am shopping around for a front door (with glass inserts) and
sidelights.
what do you guys like?
the fiberglass looks ok.....................the steel doors are the
same R value, i'm told but they dent.
i will want the door in dark oak/mahogany finish.

jadern

Fibergalss will work fine but do not install a seperate storm door.
Contrary to there instructions not to do so, I installed a seperate
aluminum full view glass storm door which is interchangable with a
screen for summer months. Ya sure Minn. The low winter sun beat
directly on the door and began to warp it. It was a good half inch on
top and bottom. Quickly replaced the glass with the screen and the door
came back to square. I have left the screen on ever since. I guess i
should have read the instructions BEFORE I started. Also, go for the
factory finish. I opted to finish it myself. That turned out to be a
chore but it came out real nice.