Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

mbarbet

Default Is the TotalProtect Home Service Plan worth the money?

Does anyone have experience with the TotalProtect Home Service Plan or other
similar home service plans? With TotalProtect, when my appliances and
systems break down, their licensed service person will come and fix them for
me. There is a $50 deductible and $500 per appliance / $1000 per system
limits per year. The price of this plan is $34.95 / Month. Is this a good
deal? Are there other service plans better than this one? My house is
about 20 years old and most appliances / systems are start showing their
ages.

Your opinions and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in
advance!

Bob Ward

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 03:31:58 GMT, "mbarbet"
wrote:

Does anyone have experience with the TotalProtect Home Service Plan or other
similar home service plans? With TotalProtect, when my appliances and
systems break down, their licensed service person will come and fix them for
me. There is a $50 deductible and $500 per appliance / $1000 per system
limits per year. The price of this plan is $34.95 / Month. Is this a good
deal? Are there other service plans better than this one? My house is
about 20 years old and most appliances / systems are start showing their
ages.

Your opinions and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in
advance!

It doesn't sound like a good deal to me - The best return you can hope
for is to spend $420 for a maximum $1000 payout - You'd be better off
to put that money into an emergency fund savings account - if you
survive without any calls the first year, you're well ahead of the
game - and you don't have to worry about repairs that (surprisingly)
aren't covered by the plan.

SpammersDie

"mbarbet" wrote in message
m...
Does anyone have experience with the TotalProtect Home Service Plan or
other
similar home service plans? With TotalProtect, when my appliances and
systems break down, their licensed service person will come and fix them
for
me. There is a $50 deductible and $500 per appliance / $1000 per system
limits per year. The price of this plan is $34.95 / Month. Is this a
good
deal? Are there other service plans better than this one? My house is
about 20 years old and most appliances / systems are start showing their
ages.

Smart people only buy insurance for the purpose of protecting against
catastrophic financial disasters - if you can contemplate throwing away $420
a year on this, you don't sound like someone for whom an appliance breakdown
would be a "catastrophic financial disaster" - and the insurance is capping
you to $1000 claim per year anyway so it's not even protecting from any real
catastrophe.

Appliance repair insurance - what will they think of next...

With a product name like that, you almost have to distrust it. I say
skip it and just repair what needs fixing if and when things break.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarbet
Does anyone have experience with the TotalProtect Home Service Plan or other
similar home service plans? With TotalProtect, when my appliances and
systems break down, their licensed service person will come and fix them for
me. There is a $50 deductible and $500 per appliance / $1000 per system
limits per year. The price of this plan is $34.95 / Month. Is this a good
deal? Are there other service plans better than this one? My house is
about 20 years old and most appliances / systems are start showing their
ages.

Your opinions and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in
advance!
I have a TotalProtect warranty and I have been without A/c for 10 days now. The beuracracy and junk you have to go through to get a repair authorized is agonizing. My monthly premium is only $25.00 a month but I purchased it through my mortgage company. There are other home warranty companies in fact I believe Sears has one. Also the first company that TotalProtect sent out turned a valve the wrong way on my A/C unit and I ended up calling my own company to fix there screw up on my dime. Plus the first company wanted to replace all kinds of parts and was telling me I would have to pay for it. I do not think to highly of the "authorized" contractors.

Home Improvement gone bad- chimney liner Artist Home Repair 93 March 18th 05 05:45 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Is it worth to buy old home and dismantle it and construct a new home? Santa Home Ownership 19 November 4th 04 03:45 PM
Anyone got a service manual for a european spec Samsung HTDM150 home cinema system? Martin Wilson Electronics Repair 1 August 10th 03 10:50 PM
Is anybody really repairing electronics in the home Badger Electronics Repair 2 July 11th 03 01:29 AM