Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Tile installation cost

In my area, the tile installation seems to be very costly. A couple of
quotes that I got for installation of travertine floors was around $15.
$4.50 is for teh material and the rest is for installation. Even a
$1.00 tile is $6.00 to install.
I live in Middle TN and I was wondering if this was a common pricing
pattern.

Thank

Tunc

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
oups.com...
In my area, the tile installation seems to be very costly. A couple of
quotes that I got for installation of travertine floors was around $15.
$4.50 is for teh material and the rest is for installation. Even a
$1.00 tile is $6.00 to install.
I live in Middle TN and I was wondering if this was a common pricing
pattern.

Thank

Tunc

this is highly dependent upon where in the country you are, and how busy the
local tilers are and their availability.

you could learn to do it yourself.

BP

In Mass. I am paying $5.00 per foot to install ceramic, $6.00 a foot for
stone tile, *on fully prepped floors*. Preparation includes underlayment and
fastening, cleaned, and bonding agent applied. The Installer sometimes
supplies the thin set mortar, sometimes not. I supply tile and grout and any
additives, and sometimes pay for the thin set.
What is travertine?

wrote in message
oups.com...
In my area, the tile installation seems to be very costly. A couple of
quotes that I got for installation of travertine floors was around $15.
$4.50 is for teh material and the rest is for installation. Even a
$1.00 tile is $6.00 to install.
I live in Middle TN and I was wondering if this was a common pricing
pattern.

Thank

Tunc

RicodJour

BP wrote:
In Mass. I am paying $5.00 per foot to install ceramic, $6.00 a foot

for
stone tile, *on fully prepped floors*. Preparation includes

underlayment and
fastening, cleaned, and bonding agent applied. The Installer

sometimes
supplies the thin set mortar, sometimes not. I supply tile and grout

and any
additives, and sometimes pay for the thin set.
What is travertine?

Travertine is a nice, open pored stone. Most of it comes from Italy I
believe. You can get it with the pores open (kind of swiss cheese
like) or with the pores filled. Obviously you don't want the open
stuff in areas that need frequent cleaning or outdoors in freeze
territory.

How much do you charge your customers for that tile installation?

BP

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
BP wrote:
In Mass. I am paying $5.00 per foot to install ceramic, $6.00 a foot

for
stone tile, *on fully prepped floors*. Preparation includes

underlayment and
fastening, cleaned, and bonding agent applied. The Installer

sometimes
supplies the thin set mortar, sometimes not. I supply tile and grout

and any
additives, and sometimes pay for the thin set.
What is travertine?

Travertine is a nice, open pored stone. Most of it comes from Italy I
believe. You can get it with the pores open (kind of swiss cheese
like) or with the pores filled. Obviously you don't want the open
stuff in areas that need frequent cleaning or outdoors in freeze
territory.

That would explain the high installation price. I can't imagine how much
time it would take to grout and clean that stuff.

How much do you charge your customers for that tile installation?

Flooring is an allowance item, so the tile installers bill is a straight
pass through to the customer; no markup.

Dick

On 2 Mar 2005 21:49:24 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

BP wrote:
In Mass. I am paying $5.00 per foot to install ceramic, $6.00 a foot

for
stone tile, *on fully prepped floors*. Preparation includes

underlayment and
fastening, cleaned, and bonding agent applied. The Installer

sometimes
supplies the thin set mortar, sometimes not. I supply tile and grout

and any
additives, and sometimes pay for the thin set.
What is travertine?

Travertine is a nice, open pored stone. Most of it comes from Italy I
believe. You can get it with the pores open (kind of swiss cheese
like) or with the pores filled. Obviously you don't want the open
stuff in areas that need frequent cleaning or outdoors in freeze
territory.

How much do you charge your customers for that tile installation?

A little over two years ago, we had very nice Italian porcelain tile
laid in most of our home (except bedrooms and kitchen) for about $2.30
per sq ft. This included the tile, Hardibacker underlayment, removing
the old carpet, moving furniture, etc. Complete job. The installer
(owner of the business) was a true craftsman. He laid out every room
with chalk lines. Didn't believe in using the separators that most
installers use now. We are extremely happy with the outcome.

Thanks for the information. The travertine is usually pre-filled, so
there is no extra work involved. I have checked with the Expo center,
and they are also charging around $5 for simple tile work. I will check
with Home Depot to see what they are charging now.

Tunc

AFUE, HSPF and COP, how do they relate? [email protected] Home Repair 37 February 23rd 05 04:03 PM
Ceramic Tile installation: slip under baseboard or remove Charles Spitzer Home Repair 1 September 2nd 04 11:41 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
ceramic tile on sheet rock question TM Home Repair 21 December 13th 03 06:58 PM
Cost to install gas hot water heater Walleye Home Ownership 8 September 10th 03 03:20 AM