DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tile installation cost (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/93384-tile-installation-cost.html)

[email protected] March 2nd 05 05:30 PM

Tile installation cost

In my area, the tile installation seems to be very costly. A couple of
quotes that I got for installation of travertine floors was around $15.
$4.50 is for teh material and the rest is for installation. Even a
$1.00 tile is $6.00 to install.
I live in Middle TN and I was wondering if this was a common pricing
pattern.

Thank

Tunc

Charles Spitzer March 2nd 05 06:33 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
In my area, the tile installation seems to be very costly. A couple of
quotes that I got for installation of travertine floors was around $15.
$4.50 is for teh material and the rest is for installation. Even a
$1.00 tile is $6.00 to install.
I live in Middle TN and I was wondering if this was a common pricing
pattern.

Thank

Tunc

this is highly dependent upon where in the country you are, and how busy the
local tilers are and their availability.

you could learn to do it yourself.

BP March 2nd 05 10:08 PM

In Mass. I am paying $5.00 per foot to install ceramic, $6.00 a foot for
stone tile, *on fully prepped floors*. Preparation includes underlayment and
fastening, cleaned, and bonding agent applied. The Installer sometimes
supplies the thin set mortar, sometimes not. I supply tile and grout and any
additives, and sometimes pay for the thin set.
What is travertine?

oups.com...

RicodJour March 3rd 05 05:49 AM

BP wrote:
In Mass. I am paying $5.00 per foot to install ceramic, $6.00 a foot

for
stone tile, *on fully prepped floors*. Preparation includes

underlayment and
fastening, cleaned, and bonding agent applied. The Installer

sometimes
supplies the thin set mortar, sometimes not. I supply tile and grout

and any
additives, and sometimes pay for the thin set.
What is travertine?

Travertine is a nice, open pored stone. Most of it comes from Italy I
believe. You can get it with the pores open (kind of swiss cheese
like) or with the pores filled. Obviously you don't want the open
stuff in areas that need frequent cleaning or outdoors in freeze
territory.

How much do you charge your customers for that tile installation?

BP March 3rd 05 12:15 PM

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
BP wrote:
In Mass. I am paying $5.00 per foot to install ceramic, $6.00 a foot

for
stone tile, *on fully prepped floors*. Preparation includes

underlayment and
fastening, cleaned, and bonding agent applied. The Installer

sometimes
supplies the thin set mortar, sometimes not. I supply tile and grout

and any
additives, and sometimes pay for the thin set.
What is travertine?

Travertine is a nice, open pored stone. Most of it comes from Italy I
believe. You can get it with the pores open (kind of swiss cheese
like) or with the pores filled. Obviously you don't want the open
stuff in areas that need frequent cleaning or outdoors in freeze
territory.

That would explain the high installation price. I can't imagine how much
time it would take to grout and clean that stuff.

How much do you charge your customers for that tile installation?

Flooring is an allowance item, so the tile installers bill is a straight
pass through to the customer; no markup.

Dick March 3rd 05 01:47 PM

On 2 Mar 2005 21:49:24 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

BP wrote:
In Mass. I am paying $5.00 per foot to install ceramic, $6.00 a foot

for
stone tile, *on fully prepped floors*. Preparation includes

underlayment and
fastening, cleaned, and bonding agent applied. The Installer

sometimes
supplies the thin set mortar, sometimes not. I supply tile and grout

and any
additives, and sometimes pay for the thin set.
What is travertine?

Travertine is a nice, open pored stone. Most of it comes from Italy I
believe. You can get it with the pores open (kind of swiss cheese
like) or with the pores filled. Obviously you don't want the open
stuff in areas that need frequent cleaning or outdoors in freeze
territory.

How much do you charge your customers for that tile installation?

A little over two years ago, we had very nice Italian porcelain tile
laid in most of our home (except bedrooms and kitchen) for about $2.30
per sq ft. This included the tile, Hardibacker underlayment, removing
the old carpet, moving furniture, etc. Complete job. The installer
(owner of the business) was a true craftsman. He laid out every room
with chalk lines. Didn't believe in using the separators that most
installers use now. We are extremely happy with the outcome.

Dee March 3rd 05 02:26 PM

wrote in
oups.com:

In my area, the tile installation seems to be very costly. A couple of
quotes that I got for installation of travertine floors was around $15.
$4.50 is for teh material and the rest is for installation. Even a
$1.00 tile is $6.00 to install.
I live in Middle TN and I was wondering if this was a common pricing
pattern.

I recently had Italian porcelain tile installed by Home Depot. Regular
grid pattern installation is $1.99/sf, and any other pattern is $2.99/sf.
Border or specialty tiles are charged by the linear foot.

I selected a "modified hopscotch" pattern with 4 different tile sizes. The
first install team came out and attempted to install it with spacers per
the manufacturer's instructions. The pattern quickly skewed. I halted the
installation and Home Depot sent reps out to look at the job. They agreed
to rip up what was put down (not much) and then sent out a new crew. The
new crew snapped chalk lines and layed the tile beautifully.

I am most pleased with Home Depot's willingness to do the job right and
make sure I was satisfied. And $2.99 a square foot made it a fantastic
deal.

Dee
PS They also run sales every few months or so and I was able to get the
tile at 20% off.

[email protected] March 4th 05 05:08 PM

Thanks for the information. The travertine is usually pre-filled, so
there is no extra work involved. I have checked with the Expo center,
and they are also charging around $5 for simple tile work. I will check
with Home Depot to see what they are charging now.

Tunc