Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Furnace Clearance

I am finishing my basement and need to know what the clearance between
my furnace and walls should be. It will be in its own room with bifold
doors on one side.Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Dan

ameijers

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am finishing my basement and need to know what the clearance between
my furnace and walls should be. It will be in its own room with bifold
doors on one side.Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Dan

Code specifies some trivial distance as a firebreak (can't remember offhand-
maybe a foot or so?). But along with that, you need to plan for eventual
repair/replacement. Has to be room for the repair guy to get to all sides,
and a road to get the furnace in or out. I have seen people finish basements
with a quick-release panel in the rec room wall to give access for service.
The better the access for furnaces, water heaters, etc, the cheaper the
service calls will be.

aem sends...