Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Adding a bathroom

I am thinking of purchasing an appartment which occupies the whole
second floor of a building. The apartment is perfect in every respect
and has approx. 1700 sq. feet of space. The only problem with the place
is that it has only one bathroom. Before, putting a bid in I wanted to
finf out if it is possible to add a new bathroom and how expensive
would it be? I know the question is very general, but I have no
experience with construction and any information/advice will be useful.

thanks for the advice. assuming the condo association and the city is
ok with it. how much approx. do you think it would cost to put a
bathroom 50 ft. from the current bathroom?

thanks. this was helpful.

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Dick LeadWinger wrote:

Not possible to tell. Too many variables. I can tell you that we got
a bid on just expanding the existing master bathroom out toward the
backyard which would give us a walk-in closet where the old bathroom
is. The estimate from someone I trust completely (my nephew) was
$25,000. And that's in Arizona where building costs are lower than
many areas of the country. Anything to do with adding or modifying
bathrooms or kitchens today is going to get into big bucks.

Yes, this is true. Plumbers want $600 to set a sink or install a water
heater. Expect the rough plumbing to cost $4000 at least and maybe
twice that. Add in fixtures and you are probably looking at $10000
without having any carpentry or anything else done yet. The biggest issue
other than permits is it the existing sewer line is big enough and in the
right place. That could cost a lot of money in itself if one is unlucky.
It is probably cheaper to tear the house down and rebuild! I say this
as someone who has gotten quotes of $70K to build a 20x20 garage and
$15-20K for 1000 square feet of driveway. The building biz is feast or famine
and right now they are feasting.

Dimitri

On 6 Feb 2005 18:01:52 -0800, someone wrote:

thanks. this was helpful.

No, not really. You need someone to look at in IRL. Seriously, in
waste plumbing, "**** flows downhill". There is NO standard price for
a bathroom X feet from another, other than the idea that closer is
generally better IF you are usuing the existing stack. This could get
REALLY complicated. What is your vertical clearance, and would you be
willing to put the new bath up a few steps if it made it easier to get
the pipe pitch?

adding bathroom fan barry martin Home Repair 0 November 2nd 04 11:27 PM
Adding a bathtub to two piece bathroom Katherine Home Repair 3 September 26th 04 09:10 PM
Bathroom fans improperly vented jeff Home Repair 11 June 4th 04 05:30 PM
Bathroom Mirror. Terry Home Repair 2 May 2nd 04 10:42 PM
Wood Floor in Bathroom Rob Gray Home Repair 5 February 23rd 04 04:28 AM