Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Building permit

Hi ,

I was wondering if someone could help me with this.
I am house hunting ,and yesterday came across a house that I kind of
like.It is being sold as a 1100sq house ( 2 bdroom + 1 bath ) , but
has something like a partiall basement and there is 1 more bdroom and
bathroom in it. That is another 400sq but it is not included into
1100sq.
I am asking myself why ( and you ). Is it possible that there was
no building permit issued ? What would happen if I buy the house and
it turns out that that was an illegal addition ?
What is the most likely scenario ?
Thanks for your answers in advance .

Sndobo

Thanks John .

What if place does not have the permit , but I still went ahead and
bought it ?
Thanks

Sndobo

Percival P. Cassidy

When we were looking for a house, all the listings specified the
"finished, above grade" area. The basement area, whether finished or
not, was not included. The house we ended up buying was advertised as
having three bedrooms, even though one basement room was being used as a
fourth bedroom when we inspected it -- because that room had no window
at all, far less a code-conforming egress window.

Perce

On 01/14/05 11:09 am tossed the following
ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I was wondering if someone could help me with this.
I am house hunting ,and yesterday came across a house that I kind of
like.It is being sold as a 1100sq house ( 2 bdroom + 1 bath ) , but
has something like a partiall basement and there is 1 more bdroom and
bathroom in it. That is another 400sq but it is not included into
1100sq.
I am asking myself why ( and you ). Is it possible that there was
no building permit issued ? What would happen if I buy the house and
it turns out that that was an illegal addition ?

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:56:53 -0800, someone wrote:

Isn't that what title insurance is for?

Nope. "Title" is fine.

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:33:05 -0600, someone wrote:

This is very easy to check...just ask your realtor to
contact the listing agent and ask the question. You
can also take the address down to your county courthouse
or city hall and ask them to look up the permit.

10 to 1 there is no permit. Probably can't get one anyway.
Restrictions on the legal use of space below grade. Nobody be naive
please - this is very common, don't ask don't tell.

If you make trouble for the Seller, what good does it do you. You'll
just screw him over and then you probably won't be buying the house
anyway. And if you do buy - it can't conform, so do you want it
ripped out?

Buy it and don't use it if it as "habitable space" if it bothers you.
But it'll be there if you want/need it.

I was not gonna make trouble for the seller.Just wondering
what would happen if:

I bought the house as is ( without permit )and after property
was transferd to my name , city somehow learnt about this
"illegal" addition to the house. Would I be in trouble ?
Could they force me to have it riped out ? I am pretty sure
that this was added at least 10-15 years ago , but still ..
Thanks a lot

Sndobo