Percival P. Cassidy

When we were looking for a house, all the listings specified the
"finished, above grade" area. The basement area, whether finished or
not, was not included. The house we ended up buying was advertised as
having three bedrooms, even though one basement room was being used as a
fourth bedroom when we inspected it -- because that room had no window
at all, far less a code-conforming egress window.

Perce

On 01/14/05 11:09 am tossed the following
ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I was wondering if someone could help me with this.
I am house hunting ,and yesterday came across a house that I kind of
like.It is being sold as a 1100sq house ( 2 bdroom + 1 bath ) , but
has something like a partiall basement and there is 1 more bdroom and
bathroom in it. That is another 400sq but it is not included into
1100sq.
I am asking myself why ( and you ). Is it possible that there was
no building permit issued ? What would happen if I buy the house and
it turns out that that was an illegal addition ?