Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Light flickers briefly when first turned on

Hello. I'm referring to the light that's attached to the ceiling, in
one of the rooms of my house. When I first turn it on by flicking the
light switch on the wall, it flickers on and off a bit for like half a
second or so, but then it stays on continuously at a constant
brightness. So what I'm basically wondering is, is this nothing to
worry about, or could this potentially one day erupt in flames, thus I
should bring in a professional electrician to examine the wiring??
Thanks!!

Andrew Koenig

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hello. I'm referring to the light that's attached to the ceiling, in
one of the rooms of my house. When I first turn it on by flicking the
light switch on the wall, it flickers on and off a bit for like half a
second or so, but then it stays on continuously at a constant
brightness.

If it's a flourescent light (which includes the "energy-saving" types that
screw into Edison sockets), that's normal.

If not, it suggests an intermittent contact somewhere, which could cause
trouble down the road. I would start by replacing the bulb. If that
doesn't do it, remove the fixture and check the wire-nut connections--once
in a great while they loosen up. Ditto for the switch. If none of those is
the culprit, I'd be inclined to call an electrician, if only because I'm
wary of unexplained circuit interruptions.

On 28 Dec 2004 00:17:26 -0800, someone wrote:

Hello. I'm referring to the light that's attached to the ceiling, in
one of the rooms of my house.

Well, what KIND of light is it that's attached to your ceiling.

And I DON'T mean the brand name. Or the color of the rim or any other
girly thing......

Thank you so much, Thomas, Andrew, and "v", for replying to my post!
And it seems that the hunch you all had was in fact correct, as it
turns out: so I had my hubby remove the light fixture, and alas we
found that the bulb was indeed one of those compact fluorescent
energy-saving doohickeys- "batta-bing, batta-boom." (I guess it was
so many years ago that we put it in, that I had forgotten what type of
bulb was in there!) Well thanks again- that's a big relief to know
that it isn't some more serious problem, and this saved me from having
to call the electrician. Happy New Year.