Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Ralconte

Default Fence installation steps

Hi there. There's quite a lot of info on this forum for the topic of
fence building, and property laws, and I'd like some general help. I
live in Connecticut. I'd like to fence in the lot that surrounds my
parent's home. What are the steps. I should have the property
surveyed to see where it should go. I should talk to a contracter and
get a permit. Am I missing any steps?

I have some problems. About 17 years ago, a low cinder block wall was
built on one side by a neighbor, perhaps one inch onto our property in
spots. I don't know if this falls under the headings of "adverse
possession" or "easement", 'cause I don't think cities charge property
taxes by the inch. I don't know if I can move it, or what. There are
some hedges planted in the cinder blocks, they may die with a fence
right next to them, am I liable in some way?

At another end of the property, there was a 4 ft tall cinder block
wall. I'm guessing it was within our property. Half of it fell 10
years ago. Just this year, the side that fell was replaced by a 6'
wooden fence -- inside the neighbors property. I'd like to replace
the still standing wall (and the short wall on the other side) with a
similar 6' wooden wall, can I just knock it down? What if these walls
are right on the property line?

We're not on good terms with the neighbors. If we're supposed to work
together on walls that are right on the property line I'm at a
complete loss as to what to do. How do you talk to people who you
can't talk to? Use a lawyer? Just work on our side of the property?
We might have to give up a foot if we have to avoid these walls.

I'm putting this fence up to keep the 10 year old neighbor kids from
playing in my yard when I'm not home. I want to keep the neighbor
dogs out, and keep some teenage kids from using my yard as a shortcut
home. I know I could politely talk to them, but I'd rather silently
erect a barrier instead. I don't expect they'll want to help me
prevent the problems they're causing.

Whew. That's a long letter. Lots of wasted venting. OK, just what
steps do I need to get a fence, given the problems I might face.

On 25 Dec 2004 21:30:57 -0800, someone wrote:

.... I don't know if this falls under the headings of "adverse
possession" or "easement", 'cause I don't think cities charge property
taxes by the inch....

Talk to a lawyer.

The only thing I will comment on, is that you are mixing apples and
oranges as to property tax and the issue of prescriptive easment or
adverse possession.

While paying tax can *sometimes* help somebody demonstrate adverse
possession of an entire parcel or lot, what you are being taxed on
does NOTHING to "prove" where your present boundary is. If you are
being taxed on more than you own, it is up to you to grieve your
assessment as being too high, it does NOT establish that you actually
own the disputed area.

This comes up from time to time. People think that if they get a tax
bill that shows certain dimensions, that this somehow proves those are
the lines, or that the City is somehow vouching for the dimensions.
Basically, what the City thinks your lot dimensions are, even if they
assess you on that basis, does NOT prove those are the boundaries. The
City could be wrong.

-v.