On 25 Dec 2004 21:30:57 -0800, someone wrote:

.... I don't know if this falls under the headings of "adverse
possession" or "easement", 'cause I don't think cities charge property
taxes by the inch....

Talk to a lawyer.

The only thing I will comment on, is that you are mixing apples and
oranges as to property tax and the issue of prescriptive easment or
adverse possession.

While paying tax can *sometimes* help somebody demonstrate adverse
possession of an entire parcel or lot, what you are being taxed on
does NOTHING to "prove" where your present boundary is. If you are
being taxed on more than you own, it is up to you to grieve your
assessment as being too high, it does NOT establish that you actually
own the disputed area.

This comes up from time to time. People think that if they get a tax
bill that shows certain dimensions, that this somehow proves those are
the lines, or that the City is somehow vouching for the dimensions.
Basically, what the City thinks your lot dimensions are, even if they
assess you on that basis, does NOT prove those are the boundaries. The
City could be wrong.

-v.