Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Robert11

Default "Little Giant" Ladder Questions ?

Hello:

Would appreciate any opinions on the "Little Giant" ladders.

Guess they are available in a few different capacity/size ratings; all seem
to be in the $ 300 - $ 400 range.

Pretty expensive, but looks like something to consider for a new homeowner's
gift.

Was wondering:

-Worth the money ?

-Well built ?

-Safe ?

-Better than separate ladders ? e.g., a tall extension type for outside
work, and perhaps a good step ladder instead ?

-how about near electrical wires; should one only consider fiberglass type
ladders, or is AL still considered safe if one is careful ?

-etc.

Any other thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Charles H. Buchholtz

Robert11 ) wrote:

: Would appreciate any opinions on the "Little Giant" ladders.

I got the "Gorilla" knock-off from Home Depot, and like it a lot.
It's easier to carry around than a 20' extension ladder, because it is
only about 6' long when it's completely collapsed. It really is the
only ladder I need, instead of having a 9' step ladder, a 6' step
ladder, and an extension ladder.

The Gorilla maxed out at 9.5' as a step ladder, and I realized that I
wanted one that was just a little bigger. So I bought the Werner
version that goes up to 11' step ladder. I can use it in rooms with a
8' ceiling, and also in rooms with 11' ceilings. It's nice to be able
to work on a ceiling light fixture with my head 6" below the ceiling,
and be able to lean my entire body against the ladder, instead of
having my feet on the next to last step and my body unsupported.

The Werner seems to be a little better made than the Gorilla, but that
may just be that I'm comparing the brand-new Werner against the
Gorilla that I've been using for a while.

The advantage is that it's exactly the ladder you need for any job, so
you don't need to buy a lot of different ladders, or make do with a
ladder that's "close enough". The down-side is that it's heavier than
any given ladder (it's about twice as heavy as my fiberglass 9' step
ladder, which I bought before I got the Gorilla). So, if it might not
be a good choice for someone who is going to lug it around a lot, or
who doesn't have a lot of upper body strength.

You can check out the Gorilla and Werner knock offs at Amazon.com.
Search for "multi ladder".

--- Chip

jetgraphics

Robert11 wrote:

[...]

Recently bought a GORILLA ladder at Home Depot ($99), not that different
from the smaller "Little Giant" (on their website). I had no trouble
adjusting it and using it.

"Gorilla Ladders- 13 Ft. Multi Position Aluminum Ladder - Model AL-13
This multi-position ladder features four true functions. They are as follows
1) Super sturdy extension ladder 2) Multiple height scaffold 3) Adjustable
height 2- Sided step ladder 4) Versatile stairway ladder. Heavy-duty
aluminum construction. Superior locking hinge system. Flared base provides
extra stability. 300 lb. Duty rating, ANSI Type IA.
Internet/Catalog # 163540
Store SKU# 135730
Price: $99.00/ea"

John Galbreath Jr.

I have a Little Giant ladder. I have had several over the years. I bought
my last one in 1981 when I started a Chimney Sweep business. It still
serves me well. I look at it like an insurance policy where I am my own
beneficiary. Yes, I would buy again IF it ever wears out.

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

windriverfamily

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:
Would appreciate any opinions on the "Little Giant" ladders.
snip

I have a ~15 year old Little Giant, and it's been great. I've used it in
the two ladder config for scaffolding, I've used two people on the two
ladders for painting, and I've extended it to its full length (~20ft) to
get on the roof. It's a little too heavy (~45 lbs) for me to move it around
for tree trimming, etc, but those fiberglass ladders are cheap and fine for
that kind of work. I leave it outside in the NW Cascades and still see no
signs of degradation.
It'd make a good housewarming gift!
skg

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:53:30 -0400, someone wrote:

Hello:

Would appreciate any opinions on the "Little Giant" ladders.

We have two different ones, one was in one of our commercial
lcoations, we liked it so much we got one for home, but our
maintenance supervisor liked that one so much it ended up in his (our)
van. We would buy more or buy it again, however there are similar
competitors. A few bucks doesn't make that much difference to me on
such a rarely repeated purchase, so we would probably stick with what
we know.

-v.
My Name

My wife bought one over 20 years ago. It's still a great ladder.
Note:
When my wife wanted to purchase the $300 ladder, I squawked. She replyed
"if you want to do most of the painting I won't buy the ladder". "Ok honey,
buy the ladder"

MJ

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Travis Jordan

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Would appreciate any opinions on the "Little Giant" ladders.

Guess they are available in a few different capacity/size ratings;
all seem to be in the $ 300 - $ 400 range.

Pretty expensive, but looks like something to consider for a new
homeowner's gift.

Was wondering:

-Worth the money ?

-Well built ?

-Safe ?

/snip/

It's a great ladder; much, much sturdier than a fiberglass ladder. I
had a cheap wooden ladder twist and fall out from under me about 10
years ago. I put it in the trash and replaced it with a Little Giant.
Makes me much more comfortable when working.

Jim

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:53:30 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Would appreciate any opinions on the "Little Giant" ladders.

Guess they are available in a few different capacity/size ratings; all seem
to be in the $ 300 - $ 400 range.

Pretty expensive, but looks like something to consider for a new homeowner's
gift.

Was wondering:

-Worth the money ?

-Well built ?

-Safe ?

-Better than separate ladders ? e.g., a tall extension type for outside
work, and perhaps a good step ladder instead ?

I have on of the really heavy duty ones ( I am massive) and they are
built like a tank. Most step ladders seem to wobble and wiggle even
with an average joe on them, this one didn't even twitch with the
salesman on one side and me on the other (bought it at a home show.)

They really do work as well as advertised and I've seen a lot of
pro-typews on home and garden shows using them..contractors and such,
not just the star who might be getting paid to schlep one around.

Mine is the 14' one and seems to be a good general size, though I sort
of wish I had bought a longer one as we have something likje 14'
ceilings upstairs and soemday I might need to get up there, but that
is then....

I do feel it is worth the money.

Jim P.

Not connected in any way with the company, nor do I get money for
referrals..grin

Robert11 wrote:

[...]

My first experience with Little Giant ladders came in 1983, while I was
in the navy. We carried them with us on P-3 Orion maritime patrol
aircraft. They were quite sailor proof, and proved their worth in the
arctic, the tropics, the desert. They got used on every preflight and
postflight (for washing cockpit windows and checking engine oil levels)
as well as during uplanned maintenance activities. While we didn't abuse
them, they certainly were not treated gently.

Superb ladders. I was delighted when they finally became available to
consumers!