Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Xiaoshen Li

Default Where to buy a good de-humidifier?

Hi:

I want to buy a de-humidifier for our condo in Northern Virginia. I
bought one, GoldStar from Wal-Mart yesterday. We are very un-satisfied
with it.It is very noisy when it is working and generates a lot of warm air.

I am wondering if you could give me some advice where to buy a good one.

Thank you very much.

FC

de-humidifier will generate warm air and this is is by design. If a
de-humidifier does not generate warm air then its condensation element
probably isn't working too well. If you don't like the warm air then a
window air conditioner which dump all the heat outside may be a better
choice.

FC

Xiaoshen Li wrote:
Hi:

I want to buy a de-humidifier for our condo in Northern Virginia. I
bought one, GoldStar from Wal-Mart yesterday. We are very un-satisfied
with it.It is very noisy when it is working and generates a lot of warm
air.

(snip)

Mike

The GoldStar is the same one I have, but branded Kenmore.

If you can, take it back right away. The humidistat has failed on me 3
times in 9 months. Its being repaired, again, under warranty. But the
warranty expires in August.

If I were to buy another dehumidifier, I would spend twice as much on
something from a real appliance manufacturer such as Maytag.

"Xiaoshen Li" wrote in message
Hi:

I want to buy a de-humidifier for our condo in Northern Virginia. I
bought one, GoldStar from Wal-Mart yesterday. We are very un-satisfied
with it.It is very noisy when it is working and generates a lot of warm

air.

I am wondering if you could give me some advice where to buy a good one.

Thank you very much.

John

I just bought the Maytag 65 pint model at Home Depot ($230). Looks
great and works great. Has a five year warranty. It's reservoir fills
up about every 24 hours, so clearly I needed it.

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:29:33 -0400, Xiaoshen Li wrote:

Hi:

I want to buy a de-humidifier for our condo in Northern Virginia. I
bought one, GoldStar from Wal-Mart yesterday. We are very un-satisfied
with it.It is very noisy when it is working and generates a lot of warm air.

I am wondering if you could give me some advice where to buy a good one.

Thank you very much.

Dan O.

Mike wrote in message ...

If I were to buy another dehumidifier, I would spend
twice as much on something from a real appliance
manufacturer such as Maytag.

I'm not too sure Maytag sells a dehumidifier and if they do it is
likely made by Fedders like Maytag branded air conditioners are or by
Woods whom makes Maytag branded feezers. You can read more anout the
'rebranding' of appliances at the folowing link:

Who Makes What?
http://ng.appliance411.com/purchase/make.shtml

There aren't too many manufacturers of dehumidifiers left in North
America. It's not the type of product that makes a lot of money for
companies to produce. Frigidaire recently closed or announced the
closure of their North American plant which produced their a/c's and
dehumidifiers.

JFYI

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+

=Ð~~~~~~

Dan O.

Xiaoshen Li wrote in message ...

I want to buy a de-humidifier for our condo in
Northern Virginia. I bought one, GoldStar from
Wal-Mart yesterday. We are very un-satisfied
with it. It is very noisy when it is working and
generates a lot of warm air.

All dehumidifiers will generate heat equivalent to the work they
perform. In most cases it is about the same as a toaster (although
less considerated) or hair dryer. You can read about that at the
following link:

Why is my new dehumidifier getting hot?
http://ng.appliance411.com/links/jump.cgi?ID=611

I'm afraid I do not know of a brand or model of dehumidifier which is
really quiet.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+dehumidifier

=Ð~~~~~~

Childfree Scott

I bought the small Windchaser one (some Walmart's have these for $65,
but you can get it at Amazon for $60 shipped). It has no compressor;
it uses a Peltier cooler. It's small, you might need more than one
(one on each floor?). It will work in the basement even if it's below
70 degrees.
Dan O.

Childfree Scott wrote

I bought the small Windchaser one. It has no
compressor; it uses a Peltier cooler.

I'd never head of them but looked on up on Amazon.com (see the
following link).

http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?azi=B00006OAM9

It's small, you might need more than one (one on each
floor?).

This is from the specs listed the

"Removes .803 pints/day at 86 degrees F and 80 percent relative
humidity"

(note the less than 1 pint per day! and at 80% humidity!)

At that rate I'd think you'd need several for each *room* (unless it's
a closet sized room) to make much of a difference in most homes
(depending on ambient humidity) considering most regular dehumidifiers
are rated between 45 and 65 pints per day!

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+dehumidifiers

=Ð~~~~~~

Installing natural gas furnace (Carrier Infinity 96) and humidifier (Aprilaire 600) - with motor running all the time NoSpam345 Home Repair 7 July 28th 04 06:16 PM
what can I expect from a "good" lumberyard? igor Woodworking 4 July 7th 04 08:45 PM
Good sawmills - northern Minnestoa James Van Vleet Woodworking 3 May 23rd 04 06:54 PM
Good Pulley Subw00er Woodworking 4 February 12th 04 05:09 AM
Avoiding brush stokes - getting a good painted finish Frank W UK diy 5 August 21st 03 03:59 PM