Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Greg

Default Flat Roof Drainage

We plan to replace the roof on our mid-century modern home in the SF
Bay Area (East Bay). We are considering the same type of roof (tar &
gravel), as well as modified bitumen and foam.

We need to also improve the roof drainage. There's currently no
gutters, downspouts, fascia board, etc., just flashing around the
edges. When it rains, water just spills over the edges in certain
places.

Any suggestions on what to do? Our preference would be to put up
fascia boards and coordinate some type of drainage solution with the
new roof. We're not sure how to go about this, or if we need a
carpenter or roofer for this. Also, any contractor recommendations in
our area are welcome.

Thanks for any help.
ameijers

"Greg" wrote in message
om...
We plan to replace the roof on our mid-century modern home in the SF
Bay Area (East Bay). We are considering the same type of roof (tar &
gravel), as well as modified bitumen and foam.

We need to also improve the roof drainage. There's currently no
gutters, downspouts, fascia board, etc., just flashing around the
edges. When it rains, water just spills over the edges in certain
places.

Any suggestions on what to do? Our preference would be to put up
fascia boards and coordinate some type of drainage solution with the
new roof. We're not sure how to go about this, or if we need a
carpenter or roofer for this. Also, any contractor recommendations in
our area are welcome.

Like the others have said, a contoured membrane roof with either scuppers or
drain grates to internal drains, perhaps hidden in a closet or something.
Like a small version of a commercial roof. You need professional help, and
not a company that just does residential roof reshingles. It'll cost, but
done right, you will probably never have to mess with it again. Next to the
foundation, the roof is the most important component of the house.

aem sends....

"Tom Baker" wrote in message
om...
(Greg) wrote in message

. com...
We plan to replace the roof on our mid-century modern home in the SF
Bay Area (East Bay). We are considering the same type of roof (tar &
gravel), as well as modified bitumen and foam.

all "low-pitch" (=flat/ponding) roofs are disasters. designed and built to
fail within 15 years.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=low-pitch%20(%22flat%22)%20roofs&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wg

ask architect (as sugg below) if you can get a standing seam roof. (requires
additional shallow framing)

We need to also improve the roof drainage. There's currently no
gutters, downspouts, fascia board, etc., just flashing around the
edges. When it rains, water just spills over the edges in certain
places.

that's the best - if your lot is well drained (rarely is. And east bay is
mostly clay). gutter over doorways is all you need.

Any suggestions on what to do? Our preference would be to put up
fascia boards and coordinate some type of drainage solution with the
new roof. We're not sure how to go about this, or if we need a
carpenter or roofer for this. Also, any contractor recommendations in
our area are welcome.

Thanks for any help.

I'd suggest an architect look at the existing conditions and suggest an

approach.

yes.

You could arrange a small fee for consultation.

maybe not so small a fee, but less costly than teh alternatives. :-(

If you feel it is worth it, that could be extended to providing detailed

drawings.

The house has been around a long time.
The chaotic drainage your post implies would have caused severe damage.
There is the possibility that past owners have changed things.
Someone with training and experience would be able to see the intended

system.

Tom Baker
Charleston SC

Flat Roof Identify Material and Repair Method TheScullster UK diy 3 March 19th 04 06:18 PM
Fibreglass flat roof Peter Balcombe UK diy 10 January 30th 04 09:56 PM
Flat roof Peter Balcombe UK diy 0 January 25th 04 12:27 PM
flat roof - slope for run off duncan UK diy 3 July 13th 03 02:55 PM