Tom Baker

Default Flat Roof Drainage

(Greg) wrote in message . com...
We plan to replace the roof on our mid-century modern home in the SF
Bay Area (East Bay). We are considering the same type of roof (tar &
gravel), as well as modified bitumen and foam.

We need to also improve the roof drainage. There's currently no
gutters, downspouts, fascia board, etc., just flashing around the
edges. When it rains, water just spills over the edges in certain
places.

Any suggestions on what to do? Our preference would be to put up
fascia boards and coordinate some type of drainage solution with the
new roof. We're not sure how to go about this, or if we need a
carpenter or roofer for this. Also, any contractor recommendations in
our area are welcome.

Thanks for any help.

I'd suggest an architect look at the existing conditions and suggest an approach.
You could arrange a small fee for consultation.
If you feel it is worth it, that could be extended to providing detailed drawings.

The house has been around a long time.
The chaotic drainage your post implies would have caused severe damage.
There is the possibility that past owners have changed things.
Someone with training and experience would be able to see the intended system.

Tom Baker
Charleston SC