Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Ablang

Default 10 biggest home-buying mistakes

[Ed. I wonder if some people disagree with #10, considering some are
waiting for prices to go down, yeah right, before actually buying one.]

10 biggest home-buying mistakes

By Pat Curry • Bankrate.com

David Weekley, CEO of Houston-based David Weekley Homes, is one of the
country's largest home builders and also the author of a new book, How to
Buy a Home Without Getting Hammered.

Based on 25 years of home-building experience for 30,000 people, Weekley
offers these 10 biggest mistakes in home buying:

Not doing your homework. Knowledge is power. Tremendous information is
available on the Internet. There is no excuse for entering the market
unprepared.

Trying to make a shrewd investment. People need to buy based on what fits
their family. Don't try to guess what will happen to the market.

Choosing a poor location. Even within a neighborhood, location matters. Is
it on the busiest street? Is there a shopping center out the back window?

Overlooking an inferior floor plan for an attractive exterior. It may have
gorgeous curb appeal, but you don't live on the lawn. No matter how
attractive the exterior, you need a livable home.

Continued below

Overlooking how the house will function for your family. How do you really
live? Do you really need a formal dining room and living room? Would you be
happier with an eat-in kitchen and a great room and a den to use as a home
office? The house only needs to fit one family -- yours.

Not having the home properly inspected in a resale. This is not the time
for surprises. Get an inspection from a qualified, respected professional.

Ready to find a mortgage? Check rates in your area.

Not checking out the builder's reputation on a new home. Talk to three or
four people who live in the builder's homes and see what they have to say.
If one builder did all the houses in a neighborhood, talk to the residents
and get their input. It's also a great way to see what your neighbors would
be like.

Not getting what you want because you're impatient. This is a big decision.
You need time. Impatient decisions can lead to mistakes.

Waiting for a better market and interest rates. Warren Buffett says the
rear view mirror is always clearer than the windshield.

Not buying at all. If you can afford a home and you don't make that
purchase, you'll lose the benefit of tax deductions, building home equity
and the appreciation in value.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/rea...0-mistakes.asp

--
"Expect nothing. Live frugally on surprise." -- Alice Walker
Diva Martine

Funny, I would have thought that the number one biggest home buying mistake
would have been "Buying more house than you need just for appearances sake,
or trying to impress your family, or keep up with the Joneses".

DIVa

--
Unemployed? Lonely? Overweight? Depressed?
* * * * * DON'T BE! * * * * *

for ronnie the christian capon who is afraid of to

In article ,
Ablang wrote:

[Ed. I wonder if some people disagree with #10, considering some are
waiting for prices to go down, yeah right, before actually buying one.]

who's Ed
JonquilJan

Will add - taking the sellers word for the location and condition of the
septic tank.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

mike

[Ed. I wonder if some people disagree with #10, considering some are
waiting for prices to go down, yeah right, before actually buying one.]

who's Ed

Ed Itorial... some dude famous for making comments.

David W.

"Diva Martine" wrote in

Funny, I would have thought that the number one biggest home buying
mistake would have been "Buying more house than you need just for
appearances sake, or trying to impress your family, or keep up with
the Joneses".

I don't know about the biggest, but the most common mistake seems to be
closing on a house, then posting to misc.comsumers.house with the question,
"Did I get a good deal?"
for ronnie the christian capon who is afraid of to

In article 3GQ6c.46013$KO3.144004@attbi_s02,
"mike" wrote:

[Ed. I wonder if some people disagree with #10, considering some are
waiting for prices to go down, yeah right, before actually buying one.]

who's Ed

Ed Itorial... some dude famous for making comments.

that would work it ablang were actually a reporter.
D. Gerasimatos

In article 6BP6c.78265$iO.29023@fe21, Diva Martine wrote:

Funny, I would have thought that the number one biggest home buying mistake
would have been "Buying more house than you need just for appearances sake,
or trying to impress your family, or keep up with the Joneses".

I'm not sure this is a problem for most people. Most of us can't even
afford what we need, let alone more than we need.

Dimitri

Ed Clarke

In article , JonquilJan wrote:
Will add - taking the sellers word for the location and condition of the
septic tank.

JonquilJan

That's not even funny. I have a usenet-friend who's going to try and dowse
the location of her tank today - while her husband is off trying to rent a
metal detector to find the pipes. The system pre-dates county inspections
and paperwork so there's no record of where the tank is.
Ron Peterson

"Diva Martine" wrote in message news:6BP6c.78265$iO.29023@fe21...
Funny, I would have thought that the number one biggest home buying mistake
would have been "Buying more house than you need just for appearances sake,
or trying to impress your family, or keep up with the Joneses".

Buying a new home every several years can be a big cash drain, so
don't buy a house that won't meet your anticipated needs.

--
Ron
D. Gerasimatos

In article m,
Doug Miller wrote:

Increasing affluence in our society means that many among us have difficulty
distinguishing between what we truly need, and what we merely want. My
father's parents raised seven children in a house that is scarcely any larger
than my garage.

Well, we don't truly *need* anything except food, water, air, and a little
sunshine.

However, I doubt that very many people buy more house than they need. Lots
of people buy more expensive cars then they need, but I insist that it
is a rare bird who could've gotten away with a much smaller dwelling but
who just decided to go ahead and splurge on a bigger one.

By the way, do you really *need* a garage? Lots of folks don't have one.
You must be one of those people out to impress the Joneses.

Dimitri

Andy

D. Gerasimatos wrote:

However, I doubt that very many people buy more house than they need. Lots
of people buy more expensive cars then they need, but I insist that it
is a rare bird who could've gotten away with a much smaller dwelling but
who just decided to go ahead and splurge on a bigger one.

By the way, do you really *need* a garage? Lots of folks don't have one.
You must be one of those people out to impress the Joneses.

Dimitri

I guess you haven't been living in the United States anytime in the last
20 years. People routinely buy much bigger houses than they need here.
Its almost become standard practice in the US upper middle class.
How else can you explain why the average size of a new house has gone up
at least 20-30% in the last 20 years but family sizes are the same or
smaller?

Andy

Steve Stone

and when did you get appointed the arbiter of what people need?

It isn't what they need. It is what they want and how big of a mortgage they can get.

Doug Miller

In article , 127.0.0.1 wrote:
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 06:17:56 -0700, Andy
wrote:

I guess you haven't been living in the United States anytime in the last
20 years. People routinely buy much bigger houses than they need here.
Its almost become standard practice in the US upper middle class.
How else can you explain why the average size of a new house has gone up
at least 20-30% in the last 20 years but family sizes are the same or
smaller?

and when did you get appointed the arbiter of what people need?

Do you honestly think that anybody *needs* a 5,000 sq ft house?
Anthony Matonak

wrote:

I guess you haven't been living in the United States anytime in the last
20 years. People routinely buy much bigger houses than they need here.
Its almost become standard practice in the US upper middle class.
How else can you explain why the average size of a new house has gone up
at least 20-30% in the last 20 years but family sizes are the same or
smaller?

and when did you get appointed the arbiter of what people need?

Do you honestly think that anybody *needs* a 5,000 sq ft house?

Do you honestly think that anybody *needs* indoor plumbing or
electricity?

Anthony

D. Gerasimatos

In article m,
Doug Miller wrote:

Do you honestly think that anybody *needs* a 5,000 sq ft house?

Not a whole lot of these being sold.

Dimitri

Doug Miller

wrote:

I guess you haven't been living in the United States anytime in the last
20 years. People routinely buy much bigger houses than they need here.
Its almost become standard practice in the US upper middle class.
How else can you explain why the average size of a new house has gone up
at least 20-30% in the last 20 years but family sizes are the same or
smaller?

and when did you get appointed the arbiter of what people need?

Do you honestly think that anybody *needs* a 5,000 sq ft house?

Do you honestly think that anybody *needs* indoor plumbing or
electricity?

Much of the world's population manages to survive without them.
D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 wrote:

Not a whole lot of these being sold.

maybe where you are, around here the mini mansions sell real quick

A 6,000 square foot house is a mansion, not a mini-mansion, and if you
are honest with yourself you will realize that there aren't a lot of
houses this size built and sold as a percentage of all houses built
and sold.

Dimitri

Andy

wrote:

I guess you haven't been living in the United States anytime in the last
20 years. People routinely buy much bigger houses than they need here.
Its almost become standard practice in the US upper middle class.
How else can you explain why the average size of a new house has gone up
at least 20-30% in the last 20 years but family sizes are the same or
smaller?

and when did you get appointed the arbiter of what people need?

As a matter of fact, I have not been appointed the arbiter of what
people need. I only made the following logical analysis:

Fact: 30 years ago the average new home was substantially smaller
than the average new home today.

Fact: The average number of people per household has declined during
that period.

Assumption: People's square footage needs were met by the new houses
being produced by the free market 30 years ago.

Assumption: Human "needs" do not change over time; only preferences
change over time.

Conclusion: People are now buying houses bigger than they need.

Andy
Steve Stone

Conclusion: People are now buying houses bigger than they need.

You have to take into consideration eBay, Home Shopping Channel and QVC.

People gotta have a place to put the "stuff" they buy from these places.

Just watch for the UPS man and his brown truck.. Things go into these houses but never leave .

And that is why 2 people need 5,000 sq ft of space..
Steve Stone

It isn't what they need. It is what they want and how big of a mortgage they can get.

how do you presume to know what anyone but yourself needs?

I got my "What People Need" overseer badge right here..

Found it at the bottom of my Captain Crunch cereal box at breakfast.

Steve Stone

I am not sure you can convince me that all those single people or
young couples w/no kids *really need* a 3000+ sq ft house. That's the
going model for most new homes in this town. Around here, it seems
*most* people buy more house than they need.

Where is here ?

Over in my area anything under 3,000 sq feet is considered an outhouse.
D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 wrote:

around here 12k sq ft is a mansion, anything less is a mini, sure
most homes are much smaller. Since only the top 5% can afford the mini
mansions and the top 1% can afford the real deal builders don'r mass
build those homes. Builders are in business to make money and they
will build homes people can afford to buy, and if mini mansions sell
well, that's what they'll build. apparently there is a bit more
affluence close to me than there is wherever you are

I am in California, but I bet that folks in Manhattan would also take
issue with your implication that the prevalance of 6000 square foot homes
is a necessary sign of affluence. The average home nationwide is something like
2000 square feet. In those terms, a 6000 square foot house is a mansion.
I doubt that even 5% of the population can afford a 6000 square foot home.

However, the reality is that not many people are buying these
multi-million dollar homes. To even bring them into the discussion about
"people buying more house than they need" is ridiculous. You yourself
say that it's just 1% of the population who can even afford them.

Like I said before, most people can't even buy as much house as they need
let alone more than they need.

Dimitri

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Andy wrote:
(D. Gerasimatos) wrote in message ...
In article m,
Doug Miller wrote:

Do you honestly think that anybody *needs* a 5,000 sq ft house?

Not a whole lot of these being sold.

Dimitri

Well I did a check in my city (800,000) and there are 70 homes on the
market right now that are 5,000 square feet or larger. I don't know if
that qualifies as "not a whole lot" or not.

To answer that question you'd have to say how many are on the market that
are 5000 square feet or smaller.

Dimitri

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Andy wrote:

As a matter of fact, I have not been appointed the arbiter of what
people need. I only made the following logical analysis:

Fact: 30 years ago the average new home was substantially smaller
than the average new home today.

Fact: The average number of people per household has declined during
that period.

Assumption: People's square footage needs were met by the new houses
being produced by the free market 30 years ago.

Assumption: Human "needs" do not change over time; only preferences
change over time.

Conclusion: People are now buying houses bigger than they need.

What about all of those existing houses? New construction is just a part
of overall demand for housing. There are also lots more condos, townhomes,
and apartments than before. Are you counting those?

Dimitri

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
XOR wrote:

I am not sure you can convince me that all those single people or
young couples w/no kids *really need* a 3000+ sq ft house. That's the
going model for most new homes in this town. Around here, it seems
*most* people buy more house than they need.

This sounds specific to your town. Do not project it across the entire
USA. Nationwide, the average house is less than 3000 square feet.

Dimitri

Doug Miller

In article , 127.0.0.1 wrote:

lifestyles change, it wasn't uncommon in the 50's and 60's to have
children share rooms, live in a house with only one bedroom, live in a
house without a "den"/entertainment room. People are more affluent now
and demand more from the home they live in. Maybe you want to remain
stuck in a decades old lifestyle but obviously many others don't.

Exactly the point: they don't *want* to.