Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Robert11

Default Floor Fan: Old Style ?

Hello:

Many, and I mean many, when I was a kid, I remember that we had a floor fan
that was round, sat on the floor, perhaps 2 feet high, and had a flat top.

The air was sucked in from the bottom, and circulated out thru the sides.
You could sit on the top, as no air came out of the top.

Not sure what this style was, or is, called ?

It made a truly great room air Circulator.

Would love to get one now, and have been looking, but I can't find them
anywhere.
(live due west of Boston; Framingham, Mass area)

Would be willing to go mail order, but would much prefer to see it before I
buy.

a. What exactly is this style called ?

b. Any stores in my area that I might have missed carry them ?

c. sites on the web ?

Thanks,
Bob

Ermalina

Robert11 wrote:

[...]

It's called a "hassock fan" or "hassock floor fan"

http://www.google.com/search?q=hassock+fan

It made a truly great room air Circulator.

Id like to have a Hassock style fan as well.....cause
they blow air in all directions.

However.... where do they suck the air from? The
bottom of the unit? If yes.... Id be a bit concerned
abt it pulling up a lot of dust and dust mites from the
floor and spewing it into the room air and thereby
aggravating allergies a lot.

Is that a potential problem with hassock fans..... or
not?

I do suffer from allergies a lot it seems.
Arthur Shapiro

In article , "Robert11" wrote:
-- Hello:
--
-- Many, and I mean many, when I was a kid, I remember that we had a floor fan
-- that was round, sat on the floor, perhaps 2 feet high, and had a flat top.

The Honeywell air purifiers work exactly in this manner, and of course have
the added virtue of HEPA filtration.

We use one in the bedroom, and it's amazing how much dust and cat hair ends up
on the outer filter. I've seen them go real cheap on eBay.

Art