Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Walleye

Default Mattress for roll-out bed - where buy replacemement

I have an aluminum roll-out/away bed (it folds up in half and rolls out of
the way) that I need to buy a new mattress for.
I have looked in a few stores (Odd Lot, KMart) without success.

Anybody have some B&M suggestions on where I might find one of these?

The mattress is 72l x 36w x 5h. When I called a local bedding dealer
(Rockaway Bedding) they said that 72 x 36 was non-standard and I would not
find that size. They said the standard widths are typically 33 or 39
inches. I need to stop in WalMart to check.

Thanks.
Walleye

"Walleye" wrote in message
.net...
I have an aluminum roll-out/away bed (it folds up in half and rolls out of
the way) that I need to buy a new mattress for.
I have looked in a few stores (Odd Lot, KMart) without success.

Anybody have some B&M suggestions on where I might find one of these?

The mattress is 72l x 36w x 5h. When I called a local bedding dealer
(Rockaway Bedding) they said that 72 x 36 was non-standard and I would not
find that size. They said the standard widths are typically 33 or 39
inches. I need to stop in WalMart to check.

Thanks.
Walleye

http://www.foamorder.com/ can custom cut a latex foam mattress to whatever
size you want. A 6" thick deal will probably be around $300 to $400. You
don't want the hard mattress, unless you really really really want to sleep
on something akin to granite. I had one (gave it away when I moved) and
even with my 230# frame, I'd sink no more than an inch or two into the foam.
Had to get a 4" layer of memory foam to put on top of it, and I'll tell ya,
I never slept so good. The memory foam wore out after 5 years, though.
Got a big saggy part in the center, but the latex foam is just like brand
new.
Anyway, they've got some other stuff on their website, you could get other
cheaper types of foam too, plus lots of curiously interesting technical info
on foam mattresses & their other offerings. Had the best prices when I
bought 5 years ago, dunno if that's still true these days.
--Tock

ameijers

"Walleye" wrote in message
.net...
I have an aluminum roll-out/away bed (it folds up in half and rolls out of
the way) that I need to buy a new mattress for.
I have looked in a few stores (Odd Lot, KMart) without success.

Anybody have some B&M suggestions on where I might find one of these?

The mattress is 72l x 36w x 5h. When I called a local bedding dealer
(Rockaway Bedding) they said that 72 x 36 was non-standard and I would not
find that size. They said the standard widths are typically 33 or 39
inches. I need to stop in WalMart to check.

Been there, done that, for a futon couch where even the 'fancy' futon turned
to a prison mattress in a year. Needed 2 ea. 24x72x5. Ended up having 2
cushions custom made thru a local mattress store. Too bad the idiots used
low-density foam. Next time, I'll go to a real upholstry shop, like that
does boat and RV cushions, and can get the real foam.

In your case, the bend-in-half is the hard part, which almost rules out
innerspring. I'd try upholstry shop, or maybe a place that sells parts for
REAL BIG trucks and RVs. I think some semi-tractor sleepers and RV above-cab
beds use about those dimensions. As long as you can get sheets to fit, are
exact dimensions that critical? (ie, does the bed have sharp corners
sticking up if mattress is a tad narrow, or metal corners to capture
mattress so a slightly wider one won't work?) If you can sew, or know
someone who does, you can get a slab of good foam (suprisingly expensive,
but worth it), and just sew up a big zippered or velcro bag to keep it clean
in storage. (IMHO, occasional-use beds need to have washable covers anyway-
storage dust, no matter how clean the house, gives them a musty smell, and
is hard on people with allergies.)

HTH, and good hunting.

aem sends....

Neil

"Walleye" wrote in message v.net...
I have an aluminum roll-out/away bed (it folds up in half and rolls out of
the way) that I need to buy a new mattress for.
I have looked in a few stores (Odd Lot, KMart) without success.

Don't know much about mattresses, but I do know there are companies
that make custom-sized mattresses, such as for antique beds that don't
take standard sizes.

Does the bed and/or mattress have a brand name on it? If so, you could
contact those companies.

I assume you could search newsgroups and the web via Google.com and
find more mattress info.

I guess another issue for you to think about is whether or not a new
mattress (if it's pricey) is worthwhile for a bed that has little $$$
value.

Anybody have some B&M

Don't know what that means.

suggestions on where I might find one of these?

The mattress is 72l x 36w x 5h.
When I called a local bedding dealer
(Rockaway Bedding) they said that 72 x 36 was non-standard and I would not
find that size. They said the standard widths are typically 33 or 39
inches. I need to stop in WalMart to check.

Try going through your Yellow Pages and look for mattress and bed
stores, then call and ask for advice.
Mary Shafer

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 18:49:47 GMT, "Walleye"
wrote:

I have an aluminum roll-out/away bed (it folds up in half and rolls out of
the way) that I need to buy a new mattress for.
I have looked in a few stores (Odd Lot, KMart) without success.

Anybody have some B&M suggestions on where I might find one of these?

The mattress is 72l x 36w x 5h. When I called a local bedding dealer
(Rockaway Bedding) they said that 72 x 36 was non-standard and I would not
find that size. They said the standard widths are typically 33 or 39
inches. I need to stop in WalMart to check.

Most local (not chain) bedding stores will custom-make mattresses any
size you want. Look in the Yellow Pages for local folks (they may
sell national brands, but the store is local) and give them a call.

I got custom-made pillow tops for an older mattress this way.

Mary

"A MiG at your six is better than no MiG at all."
Anonymous US fighter pilot

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:38:00 GMT, someone wrote:

http://www.foamorder.com/ can custom cut a latex foam mattress to whatever
size you want. A 6" thick deal will probably be around $300 to $400.

That's probably more than the entire fold-up bed is worth!

-v.