Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,misc.consumers.house

Default pantry moths

For the past few months, I've had an infestation of pantry moths and
their worm larvae in my kitchen. I've cleaned out the cabinets and
relentlessly verified that all food was sealed effectively.
I tried the sticky traps that had phermone lures and initially they
were quite effective in luring and trapping these moths on the sticky
carboard traps. Lately, it seems the moths are getting smarter and
avoiding these traps. The number of months hanging out in my kitchen
is increasing. I'm reluctant to just spray insectiside all over the
place, especially around food.
I'm looking for other ideas to get rid of them.
Please share your advice
Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,misc.consumers.house

In article , techman41973 wrote:
For the past few months, I've had an infestation of pantry moths and
their worm larvae in my kitchen. I've cleaned out the cabinets and
relentlessly verified that all food was sealed effectively.
I tried the sticky traps that had phermone lures and initially they
were quite effective in luring and trapping these moths on the sticky
carboard traps. Lately, it seems the moths are getting smarter and
avoiding these traps. The number of months hanging out in my kitchen
is increasing. I'm reluctant to just spray insectiside all over the
place, especially around food.
I'm looking for other ideas to get rid of them.

Get rid of whatever the larvae are feeding on, and kill the adults with a
flyswatter.
Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,misc.consumers.house

In article , "Bruce Atchison - author" wrote:
Would a bug zapper help? I got rid of some moths with one, though I think
they were a different variety. It might be an option rather than blasting
your kitchen with chemicals.

There's no need to use either electrical gizmos or chemicals of any sort to
rid your kitchen of pantry moths. All you need to do is get rid of the grain
(or grain products -- bread, pasta, noodles, crackers, cereal, or whatever)
that they're feeding on. They've laid their eggs *somewhere*, and the larvae
are eating it as they emerge. Find out which box of cereal, or bag of rice, or
canister of flour, or whatever it is, that they're in, and toss it out.

It really is just that simple. I don't understand why people seem to insist on
looking for complicated solutions to this -- it's not a complicated problem.
Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,misc.consumers.house

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 23:22:01 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Bruce Atchison - author" wrote:
Would a bug zapper help? I got rid of some moths with one, though I think
they were a different variety. It might be an option rather than blasting
your kitchen with chemicals.

There's no need to use either electrical gizmos or chemicals of any sort to
rid your kitchen of pantry moths. All you need to do is get rid of the grain
(or grain products -- bread, pasta, noodles, crackers, cereal, or whatever)
that they're feeding on. They've laid their eggs *somewhere*, and the larvae
are eating it as they emerge. Find out which box of cereal, or bag of rice, or
canister of flour, or whatever it is, that they're in, and toss it out.

It really is just that simple. I don't understand why people seem to insist on
looking for complicated solutions to this -- it's not a complicated problem.

It is if you can't find the food source -- if, for instance, they're
emerging from a basement in which you keep no food. That was my
situation.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,misc.consumers.house

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Bruce Atchison - author" wrote:
Would a bug zapper help? I got rid of some moths with one, though I think
they were a different variety. It might be an option rather than blasting
your kitchen with chemicals.

There's no need to use either electrical gizmos or chemicals of any sort to
rid your kitchen of pantry moths. All you need to do is get rid of the grain
(or grain products -- bread, pasta, noodles, crackers, cereal, or whatever)
that they're feeding on. They've laid their eggs *somewhere*, and the larvae
are eating it as they emerge. Find out which box of cereal, or bag of rice, or
canister of flour, or whatever it is, that they're in, and toss it out.

It really is just that simple. I don't understand why people seem to insist on
looking for complicated solutions to this -- it's not a complicated problem.

Wot he said.
Also, when the little buggers are flying just hoover them up.
Job done.

Moths John UK diy 5 September 11th 07 11:44 AM
Clothes moths Bill Home Repair 4 January 31st 07 03:13 AM
A bluey in a pantry John B Woodworking 3 May 23rd 06 08:07 PM
Slide out pantry Richard Home Repair 7 January 9th 06 11:09 PM
Keeping moths away from covered porch? HerHusband Home Repair 9 July 27th 05 02:06 PM