Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Current best practice for roof vents?

We're re-roofing this spring and I'd like to replace the roof vents at
the same time.

We currently have turbine-style vents which were installed decades ago
when the attic was insulated and vented.

The turbines have moving parts and I'm certain that they'll start to
fail soon, probably at the worst time. Last winter during a nasty cold
spell following a heavy snow, one did start screaming as it turned, but
quieted down as soon as the sun came out the next day. We probably won't
be so lucky next time.

On the other hand, the turbines are tall and stick out above the snow
on the roof. We often have a foot of snow on the roof for months at a
time.

Other than trying to avoid turbines, does the style matter, so long as
they're big enough and there's enough of them?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

LV Cable Connections - Current Practice? WandererFan Home Repair 10 October 23rd 10 08:57 PM
Roof vents Ben Blaukopf UK diy 4 May 4th 06 07:47 PM
Roof Vents Doug Kanter Home Repair 1 April 19th 06 11:13 PM
No soffit vents, no roof or ridge vents. How do I finish my attic?? Yank_fan_2965 Home Repair 9 December 31st 05 05:37 AM
Roof vents flash UK diy 11 June 24th 05 08:58 PM