Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LV Cable Connections - Current Practice?

Anybody up on the state-of-the-art in making connections for low
voltage landscape lighting cable connections?

I've used various dodges over the years to connect the black "lamp
cord" - rubbish push-together taps, big screw together boxes,
automotive splices/taps, etc. The local BORG tells me "we don't carry
connectors for that anymore, just the cable, fixtures and bulbs".

Current issue is above ground, but exposed to elements. Also have
some unreliable "semi-buried" taps I'd like to replace when I get a
round tuit.

Thanks,
WF
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2010 9:49 AM WandererFan spake thus:

Anybody up on the state-of-the-art in making connections for low
voltage landscape lighting cable connections?

I've used various dodges over the years to connect the black "lamp
cord" - rubbish push-together taps, big screw together boxes,
automotive splices/taps, etc. The local BORG tells me "we don't carry
connectors for that anymore, just the cable, fixtures and bulbs".

Current issue is above ground, but exposed to elements. Also have
some unreliable "semi-buried" taps I'd like to replace when I get a
round tuit.

Can't say as I know what current practice is. Like you, I abhor those
cheesy connection methods.

Me, I'd make connections by soldering them (how old-school!), covering
joints with shrink wrap (OK, a little more high-tech), the finally by
wrapping in good electrical tape (like that really sticky 3M stuff).
Which might be overkill, but would definitely last.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WandererFan" wrote in message
Anybody up on the state-of-the-art in making connections for low
voltage landscape lighting cable connections?

I've used various dodges over the years to connect the black "lamp
cord" - rubbish push-together taps, big screw together boxes,
automotive splices/taps, etc. The local BORG tells me "we don't carry
connectors for that anymore, just the cable, fixtures and bulbs".

Current issue is above ground, but exposed to elements. Also have
some unreliable "semi-buried" taps I'd like to replace when I get a
round tuit.

Thanks,
WF

What David said. I do the same. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2010 12:49 PM, WandererFan wrote:
Anybody up on the state-of-the-art in making connections for low
voltage landscape lighting cable connections?

I've used various dodges over the years to connect the black "lamp
cord" - rubbish push-together taps, big screw together boxes,
automotive splices/taps, etc. The local BORG tells me "we don't carry
connectors for that anymore, just the cable, fixtures and bulbs".

Current issue is above ground, but exposed to elements. Also have
some unreliable "semi-buried" taps I'd like to replace when I get a
round tuit.

Thanks,
WF

I've used wire nuts and then electrical tape, stretching as it is
applied, to seal off the open end of the nut. Worked for me, YRMV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:38:02 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

On 10/22/2010 12:49 PM, WandererFan wrote:
Anybody up on the state-of-the-art in making connections for low
voltage landscape lighting cable connections?

I've used various dodges over the years to connect the black "lamp
cord" - rubbish push-together taps, big screw together boxes,
automotive splices/taps, etc. The local BORG tells me "we don't carry
connectors for that anymore, just the cable, fixtures and bulbs".

Current issue is above ground, but exposed to elements. Also have
some unreliable "semi-buried" taps I'd like to replace when I get a
round tuit.

Thanks,
WF

I've used wire nuts and then electrical tape, stretching as it is
applied, to seal off the open end of the nut. Worked for me, YRMV.

When the wire nuts are twisted on, then fill the end with some
silicone caulk. An added measure to keep moisture out and help reduce
corrosion of the wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

I've used wire nuts and then electrical tape, stretching as it is
applied, to seal off the open end of the nut. Worked for me, YRMV.

When the wire nuts are twisted on, then fill the end with some
silicone caulk. An added measure to keep moisture out and help reduce
corrosion of the wires.

You have to be careful of the caulk. Some of the brands have chemicals in
it that will eat up the wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 2:35*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 10/22/2010 9:49 AM WandererFan spake thus:

le snip

Me, I'd make connections by soldering them (how old-school!), covering
joints with shrink wrap (OK, a little more high-tech), the finally by
wrapping in good electrical tape (like that really sticky 3M stuff).
Which might be overkill, but would definitely last.

le more snip

I've never soldered while up an extension ladder before, but it is
supposed to be good for one to try new things.

For the ground level stuff, has anybody used the wirenuts that are
supposedly rated for direct burial? I gather they come pre-filled
with goo (like ones for Al pigtailling?? different goo, I imagine).

Think I'll go with some sort of crimp connection and a bunch of tape
for the aerial work.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 16:31:14 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .

I've used wire nuts and then electrical tape, stretching as it is
applied, to seal off the open end of the nut. Worked for me, YRMV.

When the wire nuts are twisted on, then fill the end with some
silicone caulk. An added measure to keep moisture out and help reduce
corrosion of the wires.

You have to be careful of the caulk. Some of the brands have chemicals in
it that will eat up the wires.

Ya know that never crossed my mind before, thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2010 11:49 AM, WandererFan wrote:
Anybody up on the state-of-the-art in making connections for low
voltage landscape lighting cable connections?

I've used various dodges over the years to connect the black "lamp
cord" - rubbish push-together taps, big screw together boxes,
automotive splices/taps, etc. The local BORG tells me "we don't carry
connectors for that anymore, just the cable, fixtures and bulbs".

Current issue is above ground, but exposed to elements. Also have
some unreliable "semi-buried" taps I'd like to replace when I get a
round tuit.

Thanks,
WF

silicone filled wire nuts.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

For LV hillbilly connections, I gather the wires together and tie them
in a knot to provide strain relief, so that all the wires to be
connected are side-by side. I then connect and protect them using
whatever is handy. Wirenuts and caulk or grease come to mind. Shrink
wrap would probably be a lot less messy.

The telephone industry has been using a grease filled wire connector for
many years. It's probably silicone grease ... only problem here is
these devices are only good for small gauge, 24 or 26 solid wire. But,
the idea of the grease has been tried and true.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Stay away from silicone caulk unless electronic grade, go with dielectric
grease, found in the automotive section of your local hardware store.

--
PV

If you can't fix it with a hammer.......you have an electrical problem