Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers

Default Broken lateral sewer line

The lateral sewer line from my house to the street clogs about once a
year, in spite of my putting drain cleaner in regularly. The guy who
cleaned it out last time said the line is broken. The town says it's my
responsibility. It would be several thousand dollars to dig up and
repair the line. I've heard one company claim that it can replace the
line without any digging (I suppose by inserting another line through
the old one). What's the best way to deal with this problem: Have the
line cleaned once a year, get a new line, get a better sewer cleaner, or
something else?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers

Dig it up yourself and replace it.

It may take a month of digging, but so what? Just do a little a day. And put
up caution tape around the hole. You may need a permit from your city or
county.

"jigo" wrote in message
The lateral sewer line from my house to the street clogs about once a
year, in spite of my putting drain cleaner in regularly. The guy who
cleaned it out last time said the line is broken. The town says it's my
responsibility. It would be several thousand dollars to dig up and repair
the line. I've heard one company claim that it can replace the line
without any digging (I suppose by inserting another line through the old
one). What's the best way to deal with this problem: Have the line
cleaned once a year, get a new line, get a better sewer cleaner, or
something else?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers

In article , jigo wrote:
The lateral sewer line from my house to the street clogs about once a
year, in spite of my putting drain cleaner in regularly. The guy who
cleaned it out last time said the line is broken. The town says it's my
responsibility. It would be several thousand dollars to dig up and
repair the line. I've heard one company claim that it can replace the
line without any digging (I suppose by inserting another line through
the old one). What's the best way to deal with this problem: Have the
line cleaned once a year, get a new line, get a better sewer cleaner, or
something else?

Have an visual inspection and find where and how much damage there is.
Maybe you can concentrate on the bad spot.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers

jigo wrote:
The lateral sewer line from my house to the street clogs about once a
year, in spite of my putting drain cleaner in regularly. The guy who
cleaned it out last time said the line is broken. The town says it's
my responsibility. It would be several thousand dollars to dig up and
repair the line. I've heard one company claim that it can replace the
line without any digging (I suppose by inserting another line through
the old one).

Yes, my town is doing that with their own sewer lines, it does work quite well.

What's the best way to deal with this problem: Have the
line cleaned once a year, get a new line, get a better sewer cleaner,

Unlikely to work with a broken line.

or something else?

Shove new plastic sewer line up the current one.

How practical that is depends on how straight your current sewer is etc.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers

Bill wrote:
Dig it up yourself and replace it.

It may take a month of digging, but so what?

It would take a lot more than that with mine, its 10' down where
it joins the street main not a job for an amateur to do safely.

Just do a little a day.
And put up caution tape around the hole.

You'd need a hell of a lot more than just tape with mine.

"jigo" wrote in message
The lateral sewer line from my house to the street clogs about once a
year, in spite of my putting drain cleaner in regularly. The guy who
cleaned it out last time said the line is broken. The town says
it's my responsibility. It would be several thousand dollars to dig
up and repair the line. I've heard one company claim that it can
replace the line without any digging (I suppose by inserting another
line through the old one). What's the best way to deal with this
problem: Have the line cleaned once a year, get a new line, get a
better sewer cleaner, or something else?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers

jigo wrote:
The lateral sewer line from my house to the street clogs about once a
year, in spite of my putting drain cleaner in regularly. The guy who
cleaned it out last time said the line is broken. The town says it's
my responsibility. It would be several thousand dollars to dig up and
repair the line. I've heard one company claim that it can replace the
line without any digging (I suppose by inserting another line through
the old one). What's the best way to deal with this problem: Have the
line cleaned once a year, get a new line, get a better sewer cleaner,
or something else?

Just talked last week to a crew tracing out a problem like yours. Turned out the
problem was beyond the property line. Thus, it was the city's problem.