Posted to alt.home.repair

Default broken sewer lateral

My sewer lateral is broken about 8" from my foundation and is about 3"
lower at the septic end. hoe do I fix this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pyro70_30 wrote:
My sewer lateral is broken about 8" from my foundation and is about 3"
lower at the septic end. hoe do I fix this?

Obviously, excavate to allow access.

Cast iron?
Vitrified clay?
ABS/PVC?
Orange (ugh) burg?

Trim the broken stub from the house.
For cast iron or clay I would use a
masonry saw blade (gently) or even
a Dremel type tool with cutoff disc.

Make sure the stub remaining is sound and
won't crack further in the future.

If the septic end has really dropped 3"
due to settling, excavate enough distance
so that you can couple in a new section using
45 EL's.

Get a pair of these to match the pipe material:
http://www.fernco.com/coupling.asp

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:

Pyro70_30 wrote:

My sewer lateral is broken about 8" from my foundation and is about 3"
lower at the septic end. hoe do I fix this?

If the septic end has really dropped 3"
due to settling, excavate enough distance
so that you can couple in a new section using
45 EL's.

edit Probably can't fit even 45's in;
maybe 22 1'2 EL's or just let the Ferncos
absorb the drop...
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 6:26 pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
Speedy Jim wrote:
Pyro70_30 wrote:

My sewer lateral is broken about 8" from my foundation and is about 3"
lower at the septic end. hoe do I fix this?

If the septic end has really dropped 3"
due to settling, excavate enough distance
so that you can couple in a new section using
45 EL's.

edit Probably can't fit even 45's in;
maybe 22 1'2 EL's or just let the Ferncos
absorb the drop...
Jim

6" clay with a Dremel tool??? You must have lots of patience. I like
a snap cutter (the cast iron kind) even on clay.

JK