Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default CFL bulb won't work upside down in a particular light fixture

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs to
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

In article
,
brassplyer wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs to
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Have you tried more than one bulb? If not, it could be that this
one bulb is somehow bad in a way that it is sensitive to position.
Otherwise, I'd suspect a wiring problem with the fixture. Check
to see if it is grounded properly, and that hot and neutral
wires are connected the same way that other fixtures are connected.
Finally, put in a conventional bulb, and see if that bulb is the
same brightness as that same bulb is when inserted into a
different fixture. This should help you determine if there is
a high-resistance or bad connection in the line feeding this
socket.

-john-

John A. Weeks III * * * * * 612-720-2854 * * * * *
Newave Communications * * * * * * * * * * * * http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs to
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Bend the center contact up. Some CFLs don't go into the socket deep
enough.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"brassplyer" wrote in message
I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs to
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

*Is there a dimmer controlling this particular light fixture?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

In article ,
brassplyer wrote:
I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs to
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Is the fixture on a dimmer? If so, most CFLs won't work in it.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

In article g,
SteveBell wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs to
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Bend the center contact up. Some CFLs don't go into the socket deep
enough.

I was going to suggest the same thing, but let me add that you make SURE
that power is off when you do this. The switch off may not be enough,
pull the breaker. And while you are at it. make sure that the switch
is in the hot side, not the neutral side, and make sure the hot goes to
the center contact, not the shell.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 May 2009 16:24:45 +0000 (UTC), Rich Greenberg wrote:
In article g,
SteveBell wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs to
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Bend the center contact up. Some CFLs don't go into the socket deep
enough.

I was going to suggest the same thing, but let me add that you make SURE
that power is off when you do this. The switch off may not be enough,
pull the breaker. And while you are at it. make sure that the switch
is in the hot side, not the neutral side, and make sure the hot goes to
the center contact, not the shell.

Just stick in a screwdriver and touch the center to the shell and you can
be sure wether or not the circuit really is dead.
Then you can use the same screwdriver to bend the center contact up and be
insulated via the screwdriver's handle the entire time.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:

[...]

insulated via the screwdriver's handle the entire time.- Hide quoted text -

A finger is easier.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 May 2009 07:39:17 -0700 (PDT), brassplyer
wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs to
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Be careful with upside down CFLs and in particular CFLs mounted in
fixtures upside down. Most don't like this orientation and being
enclosed in fixtures makes the problem worse. The circuits in the
"base" overheat and this *drastically* reduces longevity.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"krw" wrote

Be careful with upside down CFLs and in particular CFLs mounted in
fixtures upside down. Most don't like this orientation and being
enclosed in fixtures makes the problem worse. The circuits in the
"base" overheat and this *drastically* reduces longevity.

I put some CFL floods in my recessed ceiling fixtures. When I removed one for
cleaning several months later, I noticed the tube was hanging loose from the
base. I found the same problem with another of the same brand (don't remember
what it was).

I replaced them with a different brand, and those are doing fine.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs to
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Be careful with upside down CFLs and in particular CFLs mounted in
fixtures upside down. Most don't like this orientation and being
enclosed in fixtures makes the problem worse. The circuits in the
"base" overheat and this *drastically* reduces longevity.

Not in my experience. Almost every single light fixture we have is a flood,
so the CFLs are all mounted upside down and in an enclosed fixture. I have
yet to replace a bulb and they're all at least 6 years old.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 May 2009 16:18:36 -0400, "h"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs to
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Be careful with upside down CFLs and in particular CFLs mounted in
fixtures upside down. Most don't like this orientation and being
enclosed in fixtures makes the problem worse. The circuits in the
"base" overheat and this *drastically* reduces longevity.

Not in my experience. Almost every single light fixture we have is a flood,
so the CFLs are all mounted upside down and in an enclosed fixture. I have
yet to replace a bulb and they're all at least 6 years old.

It is a *known* problem and there are some CFLs (and fixtures) now
rated for this purpose. Be careful. It is *not* recommended.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On May 25, 3:32*pm, krw wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2009 16:18:36 -0400, "h"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs to
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Be careful with upside down CFLs and in particular CFLs mounted in
fixtures upside down. *Most don't like this orientation and being
enclosed in fixtures makes the problem worse. *The circuits in the
"base" overheat and this *drastically* reduces longevity.

Not in my experience. Almost every single light fixture we have is a flood,
so the CFLs are all mounted upside down and in an enclosed fixture. I have
yet to replace a bulb and they're all at least 6 years old.

It is a *known* problem and there are some CFLs (and fixtures) now
rated for this purpose. *Be careful. *It is *not* recommended.- Hide quoted text -

Certain brands that have been widely indentified (one with three
initials comes to mind) don't burn base up very long when they are in
enclosed fixtures, but if they are open to the air like on the end of
an extension cord do much better,
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs to
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Be careful with upside down CFLs and in particular CFLs mounted in
fixtures upside down. Most don't like this orientation and being
enclosed in fixtures makes the problem worse. The circuits in the
"base" overheat and this *drastically* reduces longevity.

Not in my experience. Almost every single light fixture we have is a flood,
so the CFLs are all mounted upside down and in an enclosed fixture. I have
yet to replace a bulb and they're all at least 6 years old.

Perhaps your fixtures are vented letting heat escape?

Lou
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"JR Weiss" wrote in message
"krw" wrote

Be careful with upside down CFLs and in particular CFLs mounted in
fixtures upside down. Most don't like this orientation and being
enclosed in fixtures makes the problem worse. The circuits in the
"base" overheat and this *drastically* reduces longevity.

I put some CFL floods in my recessed ceiling fixtures. When I removed one
for cleaning several months later, I noticed the tube was hanging loose
from the base. I found the same problem with another of the same brand
(don't remember what it was).

I replaced them with a different brand, and those are doing fine.

How about some brand names?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light
sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any
theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Aren't these trash CFL's wonderful?
Our government certainly has our best interest at heart and knows
how to
choose our light bulbs better than we do.

Bob-tx

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bob-tx" wrote:

wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light
sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any
theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Aren't these trash CFL's wonderful?
Our government certainly has our best interest at heart and knows
how to
choose our light bulbs better than we do.

There is a certain amount of knowledge required to live and
get through the day. Perhaps you are just too stupid to
understand a device that has both an "on" and an "off".

-john-

John A. Weeks III * * * * * 612-720-2854 * * * * *
Newave Communications * * * * * * * * * * * * http://www.johnweeks.com

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On May 26, 9:09*am, LouB wrote:
John A. Weeks III wrote:

In article ,
*"Bob-tx" wrote:

wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light
sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any
theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?
Aren't these trash CFL's wonderful?
Our government certainly has our best interest at heart and knows
how to
choose our light bulbs better than we do.

There is a certain amount of knowledge required to live and
get through the day. *Perhaps you are just too stupid to
understand a device that has both an "on" and an "off".

-john-

LOL!- Hide quoted text -

LOA is generally reputed to have short life, Philips, Sylvania, other
name brands definitely seem to last longer

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:
On Tue, 26 May 2009 20:31:44 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob)
"
wrote:

On May 26, 9:09Â*am, LouB wrote:
John A. Weeks III wrote:

In article ,
Â*"Bob-tx" wrote:

wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light
sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any
theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?
Aren't these trash CFL's wonderful?
Our government certainly has our best interest at heart and knows
how to
choose our light bulbs better than we do.

There is a certain amount of knowledge required to live and
get through the day. Â*Perhaps you are just too stupid to
understand a device that has both an "on" and an "off".

-john-

LOL!- Hide quoted text -

LOA is generally reputed to have short life, Philips, Sylvania, other
name brands definitely seem to last longer

I've had the brand name ones dead in the box as well as suffering
early death. Doesn't seem to matter what it says on the box it's all
chinese crap anyway.

I did have a failed unit recently, and it was suppose to be a decent model. I have
had few dissapointments out of the 30 to 40 I have used. I started out paying
around $15 each, so they are a steal now, except the dimmable ones are
still around $15.

greg