Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default CFL bulb won't work upside down in a particular light fixture

On May 25, 3:32*pm, krw wrote:
On Mon, 25 May 2009 16:18:36 -0400, "h"
wrote:

"krw" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 25 May 2009 07:39:17 -0700 (PDT), brassplyer
wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs to
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Be careful with upside down CFLs and in particular CFLs mounted in
fixtures upside down. *Most don't like this orientation and being
enclosed in fixtures makes the problem worse. *The circuits in the
"base" overheat and this *drastically* reduces longevity.

Not in my experience. Almost every single light fixture we have is a flood,
so the CFLs are all mounted upside down and in an enclosed fixture. I have
yet to replace a bulb and they're all at least 6 years old.

It is a *known* problem and there are some CFLs (and fixtures) now
rated for this purpose. *Be careful. *It is *not* recommended.- Hide quoted text -

Certain brands that have been widely indentified (one with three
initials comes to mind) don't burn base up very long when they are in
enclosed fixtures, but if they are open to the air like on the end of
an extension cord do much better,