Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Patching a small (but too large) hole in drywall?

We had some drywall work done as part of a basement remodel and the
workers used "Zip It"-style fasteners and overly large screws when
installing the heat and cold-air vents.

When we removed the vents to have the ducts cleaned afterward, removing
the screws also removed the fasteners, leaving largish holes, about 1/2"
in diameter. I suspect that they over-tightened the fasteners, stripping
the holes.

Wandering the aisles of the local hardware and home-improvement stores,
I don't see anything that leaps out for plugging these holes such that
they'd reliably take short screws more suitable for the light job of
holding the vents in place.

I suppose I could just stuff the holes full of spackle or the like and
resign myself to re-patching the holes every few years as the stuff
crumbles.

Any suggestions for a more permanent fix?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN