Bob

Default Drywall patching question

I am patching holes left after removing some recessed lights. I know how to
glue/screw wood strips as a back stop to attach the drywall patch to. My
concern is that the current plaster on the current ceiling drywall is up to
1/2" thick in places. Rather than have to build up the plaster on the patch
to the 1/2", would it make more sense to use a shim to bring the patch to
within 1/8" or so of the final surface before taping and plastering? Would
the different thickness of the final plaster cause any problems?

Thanks,
Bob Abbott

--
Remove NOSPAM from address to reply

Colbyt

"Bob" wrote in message
I am patching holes left after removing some recessed lights. I know how

glue/screw wood strips as a back stop to attach the drywall patch to. My
concern is that the current plaster on the current ceiling drywall is up

1/2" thick in places. Rather than have to build up the plaster on the

patch
to the 1/2", would it make more sense to use a shim to bring the patch to
within 1/8" or so of the final surface before taping and plastering?

Would
the different thickness of the final plaster cause any problems?

Thanks,
Bob Abbott

Should not cause any problems and is the better way to do the repair.

Colbyt

Abe

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:25:01 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

I am patching holes left after removing some recessed lights. I know how to
glue/screw wood strips as a back stop to attach the drywall patch to. My
concern is that the current plaster on the current ceiling drywall is up to
1/2" thick in places. Rather than have to build up the plaster on the patch
to the 1/2", would it make more sense to use a shim to bring the patch to
within 1/8" or so of the final surface before taping and plastering? Would
the different thickness of the final plaster cause any problems?

Thanks,
Bob Abbott

-----------------------------
Shimming within the cutout would work fine. Just make sure to shim the
entire width of the cutout so you don't get any wiggle.
jeffc

"Bob" wrote in message
I am patching holes left after removing some recessed lights. I know how

glue/screw wood strips as a back stop to attach the drywall patch to. My
concern is that the current plaster on the current ceiling drywall is up

1/2" thick in places. Rather than have to build up the plaster on the

patch
to the 1/2", would it make more sense to use a shim to bring the patch to
within 1/8" or so of the final surface before taping and plastering?

Would
the different thickness of the final plaster cause any problems?

I hope you don't really mean plaster. Some sort of shim would be a good
idea - otherwise you'll need too many coats because 1/2" is way too thick to
dry very well without distorting. But a setting compound would work good if
you have a mind to mix that up.