Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

Default Most effective grease removal from clothes?

Grease stains seem to be really tenacious. Thinking primarily
petroleum-based grease - automotive etc. Anyone found a product or
combination of products a/or methods that's really effective getting
it out without damaging the cloth?
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

In article ,
brassplyer wrote:
Grease stains seem to be really tenacious. Thinking primarily
petroleum-based grease - automotive etc. Anyone found a product or
combination of products a/or methods that's really effective getting
it out without damaging the cloth?

The white gel-type hand cleaners work very well; available at just about
any auto parts store for $0.50 or $1.00 per tub. I keep a tub next to the
laundry supplies in my utility room for this very purpose.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

"brassplyer" wrote in message
Grease stains seem to be really tenacious. Thinking primarily
petroleum-based grease - automotive etc. Anyone found a product or
combination of products a/or methods that's really effective getting
it out without damaging the cloth?

Any of the "waterless" hand cleaners. Goop is one brand. Rub it into the grease
spots, let it soak awhile (overnight works), then launder it. You might have to
wash it again to get rids of the smell.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

Gary Heston wrote:

brassplyer wrote:
Grease stains seem to be really tenacious. Thinking primarily
petroleum-based grease - automotive etc. Anyone found a product or
combination of products a/or methods that's really effective getting
it out without damaging the cloth?

The white gel-type hand cleaners work very well; available at just about
any auto parts store for $0.50 or $1.00 per tub. I keep a tub next to the
laundry supplies in my utility room for this very purpose.

There are two kinds, the *wrong* kind of which demands that you wipe it off with
a paper towel rather than rinse it off with water.

I usually work it into the spot with a spoon until it looks like I've smeared
grey stuff even beyond the area of the original spot and then let it sit a while
before I wash it.

I like the metal cans/tubs. They ring when you thwap them.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

In article , brassplyer wrote:
Grease stains seem to be really tenacious. Thinking primarily
petroleum-based grease - automotive etc. Anyone found a product or
combination of products a/or methods that's really effective getting
it out without damaging the cloth?

Fast Orange hand cleaner, available at any auto parts store -- just make sure
you get the version withOUT pumice. That's a bit harder to find, but any place
that sells the pumice version can order the other for you.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

I give it the yellow soap and boiling water treatment. May take more
than one application, but give it a try.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

"Gary Heston" wrote in message
y2...
In article
,
brassplyer wrote:
Grease stains seem to be really tenacious. Thinking primarily
petroleum-based grease - automotive etc. Anyone found a product or
combination of products a/or methods that's really effective getting
it out without damaging the cloth?

The white gel-type hand cleaners work very well; available at just about
any auto parts store for $0.50 or $1.00 per tub. I keep a tub next to the
laundry supplies in my utility room for this very purpose.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody

Go into the hardware store and ask for "Goo Gone." I use it on greasy
stains in the laundry, or on that gummy stuff that holds labels, or on
grease spots anywhere. I have actually used it safely on a silk shirt.
I keep a bottle of it in the laundry room, and hubby has one in the garage.
Great stuff. Squirt it on the stain, then wash as usual. Preferably with
rather warm water.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

wrote in message

I give it the yellow soap and boiling water treatment. May take more
than one application, but give it a try.

I used to do that before I discovered Goo Gone. It is really amazing on
grease spots. As the person who does the cooking in this house, I use it a
lot on my clothing.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

On Jan 11, 5:08*am, brassplyer wrote:
Grease stains seem to be really tenacious. Thinking primarily
petroleum-based grease - automotive etc. Anyone found a product or
combination of products a/or methods that's really effective getting
it out without damaging the cloth?

This May come as a shock, But saturate both sides of the stain with
shout right before washing.

The stain will come out! I have actually done this after the garment
has been ran through the dryer!

Just make sure the stain is really saturated both sides

Yale

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

In article , "Evelyn" wrote:

"Gary Heston" wrote in message
ay2...
In article
,
brassplyer wrote:
[...]

Similar action, WD-40 will soften up the smudge, then use lots
of hot soap to remove.

greg
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "Evelyn"
wrote:

"Gary Heston" wrote in message
aay2...
In article
,
brassplyer wrote:
[...]

I squirt it on the stain then throw the garment into the washer. It never
needs a second treatment. Been using Goo gone for probably over 15 years
now with great results.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

In article , "Evelyn" wrote:

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "Evelyn"
wrote:

"Gary Heston" wrote in message
waay2...
In article
,
brassplyer wrote:
[...]

I was just picking up a tube of hand cleaner yesterday. Its always missing when you need it.
I was going to say, most hand cleaners designed for the garage mechanic
should also work pretty good.

greg

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article , "Evelyn"
wrote:

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "Evelyn"
wrote:

"Gary Heston" wrote in message
iwaay2...
In article
,
brassplyer wrote:
[...]

WD-40 will also help remove enamel paint. I had some shoe dye stain
some time a go. It was very difficult to remove. With combinations
of lacquer, MEK, and Toluline, I was able to remove after much rubbing.

greg
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

On Jan 11, 10:23*pm, "Evelyn" wrote:

I used to do that before I discovered Goo Gone. * It is really amazing on
grease spots. * As the person who does the cooking in this house, I use it a
lot on my clothing.

I have never tried Goo-gone on fabric. Will keep it in mind.

I was trying to give a frugal alternative. A bar of Fels lasts eons .

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

brassplyer wrote:
Grease stains seem to be really tenacious. Thinking primarily
petroleum-based grease - automotive etc. Anyone found a product or
combination of products a/or methods that's really effective getting
it out without damaging the cloth?

I use lestoil. It doesn't smell good but it does the job

Pat in NJ
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
On Jan 11, 10:23 pm, "Evelyn" wrote:

I used to do that before I discovered Goo Gone. It is really amazing on
grease spots. As the person who does the cooking in this house, I use it a
lot on my clothing.

I have never tried Goo-gone on fabric. Will keep it in mind.

I was trying to give a frugal alternative. A bar of Fels lasts eons .

***********

Yes, it does. But the goo gone is a time saver. No scrubbing whatsoever.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "Evelyn"
wrote:

"GregS" wrote in message

brassplyer wrote:
[...]

Could be, but they contain pumice which isn't good for fabrics.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

In article , "Evelyn" wrote:

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "Evelyn"
wrote:

"GregS" wrote in message
.. .
In article , "Evelyn"
wrote:

"Gary Heston" wrote in message
news:d5qdnSc8upfsjvfUnZ2dnUVZ_hidnZ2d@posted. hiwaay2...
In article
,
brassplyer wrote:
[...]

I don't think this stuff has much or any pumice. there are instructions..
http://www.goophandcleaner.com/uses_v2.html

greg

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "Evelyn"
wrote:

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "Evelyn"
wrote:

"GregS" wrote in message
. ..

brassplyer wrote:
[...]

Good. It is important to check for bleaches of any kind or
scratchy-scrubby particles in a grease remover one intends to use on
clothing. Otherwise you can end up with a light colored spot, or a
threadbare spot instead of a greasy spot! :-)