Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Propane vs Gasoline powered generators

I'd appreciate opinions on the pros and cons of using one over the other.

We have a 3600 sq. ft. home and recently installed a Briggs & Stratton 8K
portable gasoline generator to run the basic things like refrigerator,
lights, fans, septic pump, water, furnace (propane), etc. During this
incredible heat wave in South Central PA we had blackouts on Sunday afternon
until late in the evening. The generator would run for less than 5 minutes
and turn off. I saw how much trouble my husband went through getting
gasoline, hitting switches, disconnecting the cable, etc. so I want out of
it since I'm never going to touch that sucker when he isn't home and most of
the blackouts are during the day while he's a state away working.

We have a 500 gallon, underground propane tan that we keep as full as
possible at all times. I want to change to a standby, automatic transfer
generator because I live by the K.I.S.S. rule. We returned the adequately
named BS generator yesterday for a full refund and will apply that money to
a new system.

Main question is, how much does it cost to run a 16K propane generator? I've
read so much conflicting info on the internet that I'm at a loss. My husband
believes that it would empty the tank in 2.5 days costing us around $1,000
for the pleasure. I've found data that it uses .75 gallons per hour of use
and that's significantly much lower than the former equation.

Can someone help me with this, or post a link where I can find an answer to
this question?

Thank you,

Sandra

Posted to misc.consumers.house
WDS WDS is offline

On Jun 10, 1:33 pm, "Foxy Lady" wrote:
[...]

http://www.norwall.com/newimages/16kw-0174520SBY.pdf

Is that the size you are looking at? The engine stats say

Fuel Consumption
Liquid Propane ft3/hr (gal/hr)
.........................................1/2 Load 59 (1.59)
.........................................Full Load 92 (2.51)

Are you sure you need this big of a generator? You'll drain your tank
in no time.

BTW, a 500 gallon tank is unlikely to be more than 80% full, if that.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"WDS" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the info. That's basically it. I don't think we need a 16K
either, more like an 8 - 10.
I realize the tanks are only filled to 80%. That's what I meant when I said
full but neglected to specify it. Thanks for the correction.

Realistically, blackouts usually don't last more than a couple of hours out
here. I know that it's possible to go out for a few days, but it's not the
norm, and it's never happened to us here in PA. I like the idea of being
ready for using it a lot of times for short periods instead of holding out
for the "just in case" 3 day blackout... but I need facts to convince my
husband. I just don't like the danger involved in dealing with gasoline,
from storing it to pouring it into the generator when it uses up the 7
gallons the tank holds. I wouldn't want my husband to deal with that in the
rain, snow or intense heat either, but he's a guy and wont admit that it's a
PITA.

Sandra

Gasoline powered tools? Inquiringmind Home Repair 6 October 29th 06 01:52 AM
1929 gasoline powered Maytag washing machine.. Home Repair 7 February 5th 06 04:43 PM
Gasoline powered pressure washer Bob Home Repair 5 May 13th 05 09:38 PM
propane generators Dave Home Repair 2 April 7th 05 12:17 AM
Bobcat or other gasoline powered welder? Thomas Kendrick Metalworking 3 October 9th 03 02:03 PM