Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Where to find: casement window fans, air pump

We've got casement windows in our house. I'd really like to be able to put
a fan into one or more of them, but it seems all fans are designed to fit
into standard "slider" windows. Any suggestions for ways to put a fan into
a casement window? The main one I'd like (it's a clerestory at the peak of
our roofline, would be great for exhausting hot summer air) has a screen
size of 25.5x55".

Also, a bit more oddball: I'd like to find an inexpensive and preferably
fairly quiet air pump capable of continuous-duty use, 50-100psi. Our
bedroom is on the 2nd floor and a long way from the AC. I'm toying with
the idea of a putting a vortex tube in there, and sending the hot air out
the window. And of course you could reverse it in the winter. A couple
thousand BTU/hr could help the bedroom temperature situation a lot. See
e.g. http://www.airtxinternational.com/ca...rtex_tubes.php or
http://www.newmantools.com/vortex.htm. Kinda crazy, but I'm sure it would
work... *if* I can find an affordable air pump.

Gary
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Gary Fritz" wrote in message
[...]

I suspect you'll find that this will be a very expensive to operate
A/C system. A couple thou. BYU/Hr seems to require in excess of 25 CFM
at 100 PSI. That takes a big compressor, which draws big power. A huge
amount more power than a 5000 BTU/Hr A/C.

Bob

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Bob F" wrote:
I suspect you'll find that this will be a very expensive to operate
A/C system. A couple thou. BYU/Hr seems to require in excess of 25 CFM
at 100 PSI. That takes a big compressor, which draws big power. A huge
amount more power than a 5000 BTU/Hr A/C.

I was afraid of that. I wasn't sure what size of compressor it would take.
I knew this wasn't a real efficient way to get A/C, but I thought a "spot
cooling" application like this might make sense.

Ohwell. Thanks anyway! Anybody got any ideas on the casement fans?
Posted to misc.consumers.house
krw krw is offline

In article ,
says...
We've got casement windows in our house. I'd really like to be able to put
a fan into one or more of them, but it seems all fans are designed to fit
into standard "slider" windows. Any suggestions for ways to put a fan into
a casement window? The main one I'd like (it's a clerestory at the peak of
our roofline, would be great for exhausting hot summer air) has a screen
size of 25.5x55".

You could make a box out of plywood. Casement windows suck for this
sort of thing (I have them too) but your is big enough that it
shouldn't be too hard to fit a fan into it. Is it protected from the
weather when open? Mine aren't. :-(

Also, a bit more oddball: I'd like to find an inexpensive and preferably
fairly quiet air pump capable of continuous-duty use, 50-100psi. Our
bedroom is on the 2nd floor and a long way from the AC. I'm toying with
the idea of a putting a vortex tube in there, and sending the hot air out
the window. And of course you could reverse it in the winter. A couple
thousand BTU/hr could help the bedroom temperature situation a lot. See
e.g.
http://www.airtxinternational.com/ca...rtex_tubes.php or
http://www.newmantools.com/vortex.htm. Kinda crazy, but I'm sure it would
work... *if* I can find an affordable air pump.

As already pointed out; won't work. I put a 7.5kBTU "window" AC unit
through the wall below a casement window in our bedroom. The 25kBTU
AC in the living room takes care of the rest of the house, at least
as little as we need AC.

--
Keith
Posted to misc.consumers.house

krw wrote:
You could make a box out of plywood. Casement windows suck for this
sort of thing (I have them too) but your is big enough that it
shouldn't be too hard to fit a fan into it. Is it protected from the
weather when open? Mine aren't. :-(

Ick. That would be ugly, and would block light from that window. Doubt I
could sell it with the wife. Yes, it's protected from the weather -- there
is a roof eave over the clerestories.

As already pointed out; won't work. I put a 7.5kBTU "window" AC unit
through the wall below a casement window in our bedroom. The 25kBTU
AC in the living room takes care of the rest of the house, at least
as little as we need AC.

I'd like to have an option for spot AC up in the bedroom, but I don't plan
to blow a hole in the wall to do it. I guess there are AC units that are
designed for casement windows (but why not fans !?), but that's not a great
option either. Hm.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:03:13 -0000, someone wrote:

..... I guess there are AC units that are
designed for casement windows

Yeah yeah, we had one in a house I used to live in, years ago.

I think it looks ugly what with the open window sticking out. And you
still have to close off that part of the window opening above the
unit, as the whole window is open, and the unit will be smaller in
height than the window. It looks better if you remove the operable
part of the window, but you still need to block off the opening.

A new wall sleeve just for the A/C is a much neater solution.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

If you have screens on your casement windows and it depends on the casement window, but we put a window fan in with screen in place and hooked a bungee across latches on Windows. It works but not pretty.

building a casement window [email protected] Home Repair 1 November 28th 06 01:03 PM
Casement window air conditioners Nathan Zimmerman Home Repair 12 July 2nd 06 07:57 PM
CASEMENT window replacement fish Home Repair 5 March 29th 06 12:20 PM
Casement window MODERN LASS UK diy 0 January 5th 06 12:40 AM
Casement Window Won't Close Bob Home Repair 2 September 27th 05 05:24 AM