Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Where to find: casement window fans, air pump

"Gary Fritz" wrote in message
We've got casement windows in our house. I'd really like to be able
to put
a fan into one or more of them, but it seems all fans are designed
to fit
into standard "slider" windows. Any suggestions for ways to put a
fan into
a casement window? The main one I'd like (it's a clerestory at the
peak of
our roofline, would be great for exhausting hot summer air) has a
screen
size of 25.5x55".

Also, a bit more oddball: I'd like to find an inexpensive and
preferably
fairly quiet air pump capable of continuous-duty use, 50-100psi.
Our
bedroom is on the 2nd floor and a long way from the AC. I'm toying
with
the idea of a putting a vortex tube in there, and sending the hot
air out
the window. And of course you could reverse it in the winter. A
couple
thousand BTU/hr could help the bedroom temperature situation a lot.
See
e.g. http://www.airtxinternational.com/ca...rtex_tubes.php or
http://www.newmantools.com/vortex.htm. Kinda crazy, but I'm sure it
would
work... *if* I can find an affordable air pump.

I suspect you'll find that this will be a very expensive to operate
A/C system. A couple thou. BYU/Hr seems to require in excess of 25 CFM
at 100 PSI. That takes a big compressor, which draws big power. A huge
amount more power than a 5000 BTU/Hr A/C.

Bob