Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
SQ SQ is offline

Default Rental contract question

Is it possible to include a clause in the rental contract that if the
tenant
looses his job, he can get out from the contract. Is it possible?
It is a rental agreement with a private owner, not an apartment
complex.
Thanks in advance.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"SQ" writes:

Is it possible to include a clause in the rental contract that if the
tenant
looses his job, he can get out from the contract. Is it possible?
It is a rental agreement with a private owner, not an apartment
complex.
Thanks in advance.

Sure... whatever the two parties can mutually agree upon can be in the
contract.

What I've seen of this sort of thing, at best, is covered by a clause
that focuses on someone's need to move out of state for employment
reasons. Just losing a job isn't enough to get out. But most
landlords don't wanna let you out of a lease so easily and aren't too
eager to make exceptions if there are other tenants available who
aren't as worried about losing their job and not having enough savings
to cover rent for a few months while they look for a new one. The
landlord is primarily interested in someone who's gonna commit to
paying rent every month for the lease term and who won't destroy his
place. It's not necessarily that they're evil folks mind you, but
they've got fixed bills to pay themselves and need the cash flow.

Best REgards,
--
Todd H.
http://toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"SQ" writes:
Is it possible to include a clause in the rental contract that if the
tenant
looses his job, he can get out from the contract. Is it possible?

Yes, if both the tenant and the landlord agreed to it.

--
Help stop the genocide in Darfur!
http://www.genocideintervention.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"SQ" wrote in message
ups.com...

Is it possible to include a clause in the rental contract that if the
tenant
looses his job, he can get out from the contract. Is it possible?
It is a rental agreement with a private owner, not an apartment
complex.
Thanks in advance.

Like others have said, two people can make an agreement to cover just about
anything. Still, why not just become a tenant-at-will if you are worried
about losing your job? It seems to me that tenancy-at-will gives an
out-clause to both parties, whereas what you are suggesting gives the tenant
an out, but not the landlord. Personally, I can't see why a landlord would
agree to that, rather than simply doing tenancy at will.

Just a thought for you.

Donna

Posted to misc.consumers.house
SQ SQ is offline

How would such a clause be worded? Thanks again.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"SQ" wrote:

Is it possible to include a clause in the rental contract that if the
tenant
looses his job, he can get out from the contract. Is it possible?
It is a rental agreement with a private owner, not an apartment
complex.

Of course. Preprinted forms are just that - forms. They can be modified or
amended.
Posted to misc.consumers.house
SQ SQ is offline

OK. Is there a sample clause I can take a look at?

On Mar 21, 8:47 am, Rick Blaine wrote:

Of course. Preprinted forms are just that - forms. They can be modified or
amended.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"SQ" writes:

OK. Is there a sample clause I can take a look at?

Are you the renter or the landlord?

--
Todd H.
http://toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"SQ" wrote in message
ups.com...

How would such a clause be worded? Thanks again.

What, tenancy at will? If you don't sign a lease, you are automatically a
tenant at will. You don't have to phrase anything special to be a tenant at
will. That is the default.

HTH,

Donna

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Mar 21, 9:28 am, (Todd H.) wrote:
"SQ" writes:
OK. Is there a sample clause I can take a look at?

Are you the renter or the landlord?

--
Todd H. http://toddh.net/

Those preprinted forms are a bad thing, unless they have been drafted
by a knowledgeable attorney with experience in landlord / tenant law
for the particular locale where they will be used. Many states have
some pretty tough rules to follow. For example, several eastern
states require a lease to be "plain language" and not above a 4th or
6th grade reading level. Where I am in WI, if a lease has any clause
in the lease is contrary to state law, the entire lease is invalid.

Maybe there is an apartment association or landlord group in your
area?

BTW, we would call your "tenancy at will" a "month to month" tenancy,
and it would still require a minimum of 28 days notice.

JK

Posted to misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On 20 Mar 2007 20:59:23 -0700, someone wrote:

Is it possible to include a clause in the rental contract that if the
tenant
looses his job, he can get out from the contract.

So where ya gonna live if you lose your job?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Mar 21, 2:59 pm, "Big_Jake" wrote:
On Mar 21, 9:28 am, (Todd H.) wrote:

"SQ" writes:
[...]

Here's your clause. There should be a section in the lease where it
talks about termination. In that section you add:

Tenant is presently employed by XYZ Corp. In the even tenant's
employment at that firm is terminated during the term of this lease,
tenant shall have the option of terminating this lease, without
penalty, with 30 days written notice to the landlord.

And if you want to make it fair to the landlord:

Tenant is presently employed by XYZ Corp. In the even tenant's
employment at that firm is terminated during the term of this lease,
tenant shall have the option of terminating this lease, without
penalty, with 30 days written notice to the landlord and by
furnishing written proof that employment has been terminated.

Now, I doubt many landlords are gonna agree to it, but that'a another
story.

I wish they had woodworking rental places [email protected] Woodworking 30 November 21st 05 03:05 PM
Rental videos ernie mendoza UK diy 4 June 13th 05 09:08 PM
A/C Maintenance Contract Question Steve Stone Home Repair 11 March 30th 05 05:08 AM
Question about purchase agreement contract language [email protected] Home Ownership 4 December 17th 04 04:57 PM
must buy rental or move out... Matt Warnock Home Ownership 22 September 3rd 04 05:55 PM