Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Rental contract question

On Mar 21, 2:59 pm, "Big_Jake" wrote:
On Mar 21, 9:28 am, (Todd H.) wrote:

"SQ" writes:
OK. Is there a sample clause I can take a look at?

Are you the renter or the landlord?

--
Todd H. http://toddh.net/

Those preprinted forms are a bad thing, unless they have been drafted
by a knowledgeable attorney with experience in landlord / tenant law
for the particular locale where they will be used. Many states have
some pretty tough rules to follow. For example, several eastern
states require a lease to be "plain language" and not above a 4th or
6th grade reading level. Where I am in WI, if a lease has any clause
in the lease is contrary to state law, the entire lease is invalid.

Maybe there is an apartment association or landlord group in your
area?

BTW, we would call your "tenancy at will" a "month to month" tenancy,
and it would still require a minimum of 28 days notice.

JK

Here's your clause. There should be a section in the lease where it
talks about termination. In that section you add:

Tenant is presently employed by XYZ Corp. In the even tenant's
employment at that firm is terminated during the term of this lease,
tenant shall have the option of terminating this lease, without
penalty, with 30 days written notice to the landlord.

And if you want to make it fair to the landlord:

Tenant is presently employed by XYZ Corp. In the even tenant's
employment at that firm is terminated during the term of this lease,
tenant shall have the option of terminating this lease, without
penalty, with 30 days written notice to the landlord and by
furnishing written proof that employment has been terminated.

Now, I doubt many landlords are gonna agree to it, but that'a another
story.