Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Replacing grinding circulation pump of heating system

I have a 4 zone heating, baseboard, hot water. The circulation pump of
one of the zones makes grinding noises, which makes the impression to
me it won't last much longer.

My question is, is the replacement of such a pump a job that I can do
myself or do I need some heating guy to come here? What are the things
I should look out for?

Thanks for any advise,
Wilko

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Esche wrote:

I have a 4 zone heating, baseboard, hot water. The circulation pump of
one of the zones makes grinding noises, which makes the impression to
me it won't last much longer.

My question is, is the replacement of such a pump a job that I can do
myself or do I need some heating guy to come here? What are the things
I should look out for?

Thanks for any advise,
Wilko

It's not that big a job.

You do have to be able to isolate (valve off) the pump,
or else drain that part of the system.
Some guys will swap em out live, but you have to be
prepared for big flood. :-)

You don't have to buy the entire pump (most models);
just get the impeller assy. That avoids taking any
piping apart. Do shut off the boiler feed water and
be sure to bleed the system afterward.

Get the pump name/model and ask at a supply house.

Jim
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Thanks for the advice.

It worked out. In fact, a year earlier a heating guy replaced two other
pumps. so I was able to compare.

I am not sure whether it is coincidence or not, but one of my other
zones doesn't seem to warm up as fast as it used to. It might be
related to having the first time this winter freezing temperatures. But
that zone has now trouble to make it over 60. I did quite some
bleeding. Any suggestions regarding this?

Thanks in advance,
Wilko

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Esche wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

It worked out. In fact, a year earlier a heating guy replaced two other
pumps. so I was able to compare.

I am not sure whether it is coincidence or not, but one of my other
zones doesn't seem to warm up as fast as it used to. It might be
related to having the first time this winter freezing temperatures. But
that zone has now trouble to make it over 60. I did quite some
bleeding. Any suggestions regarding this?

Thanks in advance,
Wilko

That could be tough to diagnose. Might be related to not enough flow
(obstruction or pump problem), lower boiler temp, not enough radiator
surface.
I don't think it could be answered without actually being there..

Jim