William F

Default Replacing radiator valve on a sealed combi central heating system

I've got a radiator with a broken thermostat valve jammed in the off
position - hence the radiator has been off for months. I need to get it
working before winter...

Is it possible on a sealed (Worcester 24i Combi-boiler) system to
isolate the radiator so as to remove the faulty valve and put the new
one on? Or does the whole system have to be drained?

There is another valve at the other end of the radiator. If I turn this
off, and then remove the thermostat valve at the other end, will it
just be the affected radiator that drains, or will there be a flood, or
other problems?

Or what about freezer sprays for isolating pipes?

Or is it a job for a professional?

Thanks in advance - any tips or advice welcome!

William

Lurch

On 29 Sep 2005 03:23:42 -0700, "William F"
scrawled:

I've got a radiator with a broken thermostat valve jammed in the off
position - hence the radiator has been off for months. I need to get it
working before winter...

Hit it, gently. Sometimes the plunger doobrie behind the pin gets
jammed.

Is it possible on a sealed (Worcester 24i Combi-boiler) system to
isolate the radiator so as to remove the faulty valve and put the new
one on? Or does the whole system have to be drained?

Whole system needs draining, which isn't as bad as it sounds.

There is another valve at the other end of the radiator. If I turn this
off, and then remove the thermostat valve at the other end, will it
just be the affected radiator that drains, or will there be a flood, or
other problems?

Nope, that won't make a bit of difference. If you were to just turn
off that valve then when you removed the TRV the radiator would empty
and also the rest of the system, all through the 2 holes where the TRV
once was.

Or what about freezer sprays for isolating pipes?

Never used it, I generally drain down to clear any crud out of the
system anyway.

Or is it a job for a professional?

Your decision, might be safest?
--