Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ap ap is offline

Default sealing face of fireplace with cardboard and duct tape

Hello,
I have a brick fireplace that is very drafty. The flue is shut, but
there are air leaks. So last weekend, I sealed the face of the
fireplace
with cardboard and held it to the brick fireplace with duct tape for
stucco.

Just today, I noticed the duct tape is coming off the sides and air
is leaking again.

Is there a better type of duct tape for holding cardboard to brick?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks much.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"ap" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a brick fireplace that is very drafty. The flue is shut, but
there are air leaks. So last weekend, I sealed the face of the
fireplace with cardboard and held it to the brick fireplace with duct tape

for
stucco.
Just today, I noticed the duct tape is coming off the sides and air
is leaking again.

Glue a thick slab of foam rubber to the back of
the cardboard (which offers better shielding against
cold air in the flue.) If you cut the foam rubber
an inch larger than the card along all edges, so
that you have to squeeze it into place, this will
prevent draughts.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"ap" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I have a brick fireplace that is very drafty. The flue is shut, but
there are air leaks. So last weekend, I sealed the face of the
fireplace
with cardboard and held it to the brick fireplace with duct tape for
stucco.

Just today, I noticed the duct tape is coming off the sides and air
is leaking again.

Is there a better type of duct tape for holding cardboard to brick?

An alternative way to go about this might be to stuff attic insulation up
the chimney at or under the damper. This will look better from the room
since the insulation is out of sight and you will not be looking at a piece
of cardboard all of the time.
Tomes

Posted to misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On 29 Nov 2006 07:46:36 -0800, someone wrote:

Is there a better type of duct tape for holding cardboard to brick?

Since ducts are not made of either cardboard or brick, that would be
apoor tape to use for that purpose. Unless you trace back the history
of the name and find it is really "duck" tape. No, not for quack
quacks, but original made of and for use on "cotton duck", or cancas
as in tents and tarps.

No, there is not a better duct tape for your purpose. Don't use tape
for this.