Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ap

Default how to seal fireplace face

Hello,
We have a fireplace in the first floor that is very drafty.
We are not ever using the fireplace. The flue/damper is closed.

is there an economical way to seal/cover the face
so that it stays shut and cold air doesn't seep in?

I'm not interested in putting in a door.

THANKS

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bill

Just get a piece of plywood, have them cut it to size if you don't have a
saw, then stick foam weather stripping around the back edges and prop up
against the fireplace opening with a couple of large rocks or bricks.

Or use a small bookcase or whatever to hold it in place.

"ap" wrote in message
Hello,
We have a fireplace in the first floor that is very drafty.
We are not ever using the fireplace. The flue/damper is closed.

is there an economical way to seal/cover the face
so that it stays shut and cold air doesn't seep in?

I'm not interested in putting in a door.

THANKS

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ameijers

"ap" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
We have a fireplace in the first floor that is very drafty.
We are not ever using the fireplace. The flue/damper is closed.

is there an economical way to seal/cover the face
so that it stays shut and cold air doesn't seep in?

I'm not interested in putting in a door.

THANKS

Shove a big wad of insulation up the flue, or one of those purpose-made flue
balloons. Whatever you do, hang a sign from the damper chain that the FLUE
IS BLOCKED, in case somebody tries to use it when you aren't around, or you
sell and forget to tell them. Other method is to put a tight cap on the top.

I see lots of people ignore their fireplaces- unless yours is a good
efficent design (very rare), they are a hell of a lot of work and mess just
to suck all the hot air out of the house. Popular place to put big brass
knickknacks. When you are young and looking for romance, they are a good
scene-setter, but when you hit middle age.....

aem sends...