Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Washing Machine Lint Trap / Drain Protector

My washing machine drain pipe recently was having trouble keeping up
with the spin cycle discharge, so I had the line snaked. All appears ok
now, but I'd like to prevent this in the future. Has anyone had success
with lint trap or filter for their washer?

The machine is a Kenmore / Whirlpool and the parts guide lists whirlpool
part # 367031 "Drain Protector" or "Drain Protectant"
http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/acc...r oductId=914

It doesn't list if any additional parts are necessary to connect the
protector to the discharge hose, or where it is installed. It appears
to have a 90 degree angle between input and output, which has me
puzzled.

Or is there another type of lint trap from another supplier that works
better?
I'd appreciate any suggestions and experiences.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Jeff Taylor wrote:
My washing machine drain pipe recently was having trouble keeping up
with the spin cycle discharge, so I had the line snaked. All appears ok
now, but I'd like to prevent this in the future. Has anyone had success
with lint trap or filter for their washer?

The machine is a Kenmore / Whirlpool and the parts guide lists whirlpool
part # 367031 "Drain Protector" or "Drain Protectant"
http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/acc...r oductId=914

It doesn't list if any additional parts are necessary to connect the
protector to the discharge hose, or where it is installed. It appears
to have a 90 degree angle between input and output, which has me
puzzled.

Or is there another type of lint trap from another supplier that works
better?
I'd appreciate any suggestions and experiences.

I don't understand how that Whirlpool lint trap is supposed to work,
never having seen one, but you can get the wire mesh lint trap bags at
any hardware store, home center or buy them in bulk on eBay. They
come with zip ties to hold them in place. Cheap, easy, disposable.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Todd H." wrote:

Jeff Taylor writes:

My washing machine drain pipe recently was having trouble keeping up
with the spin cycle discharge, so I had the line snaked. All appears ok
now, but I'd like to prevent this in the future. Has anyone had success
with lint trap or filter for their washer?

I grew up seeing old nylon hosiery tied on the discharge of the
washing machine's hose into the utility tub. It worked fine. Kinda
creeped me out, of course, but it worked fine.

When I had a discharge like this, the $1.00 kit at most grocery stores
or Target, or Walmart that has the mesh sock lookin deal works great
too. Even comes with a wire tie.

I've never had to have anything snaked on a laundry tub line. And
can't remember any such from childhood either.

Maybe I'm just "lucky." The line is cast iron and goes under the basement
slab underneath the standpipe. It's only 2.5-3 inches until it meets the main
soil line underground. I'll check out that kit at Target. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Jeff Taylor writes:

My washing machine drain pipe recently was having trouble keeping up
with the spin cycle discharge, so I had the line snaked. All appears ok
now, but I'd like to prevent this in the future. Has anyone had success
with lint trap or filter for their washer?

I grew up seeing old nylon hosiery tied on the discharge of the
washing machine's hose into the utility tub. It worked fine. Kinda
creeped me out, of course, but it worked fine.

When I had a discharge like this, the $1.00 kit at most grocery stores
or Target, or Walmart that has the mesh sock lookin deal works great
too. Even comes with a wire tie.

I've never had to have anything snaked on a laundry tub line. And
can't remember any such from childhood either.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"RicodJour" wrote:

How about a septic system? Synthetic fibers don't break down in a
septic tank or leaching field. They just accumulate it and block the
drainage and they you have an expensive problem.

Non-soluable material in a septic tank either floats or sinks. The tank is
designed to draw from the liquids in the center of the tank. Any fiber would get
pumped out of the tank with all the sludge during the normal cleanout every
couple of years.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Rick Blaine wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote:

How about a septic system? Synthetic fibers don't break down in a
septic tank or leaching field. They just accumulate it and block the
drainage and they you have an expensive problem.

Non-soluble material in a septic tank either floats or sinks. The tank is
designed to draw from the liquids in the center of the tank. Any fiber would get
pumped out of the tank with all the sludge during the normal cleanout every
couple of years.

Having lived and worked for several decades in an area that did not
have sewers, I can assure you that your theory is perfect...in theory.
Some people go years without having the things pumped out, and others
are on a maintenance schedule. Some households do a few washer loads a
week, others do several a day.

As in everything else construction - everything in life, really -
preventative maintenance is far cheaper and easier. Changing a lint
trap at the washer outlet takes two minutes and costs a buck. So for
half an hour's work and a twenty dollar bill you're postponing pumping.
How much does it cost in your area to pump out a tank?