Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default the roof is leaking in my new house, who's responsible? the inspector?

Hi, i'm just having a hard time figuring out who is responsible for the

leaky roof. I really hope someone can help me on this.
The situation is like this...

We bought a house (about 7 years old) in Surrey, BC, and moved in about

4 weeks ago(at the end of October).
We did a house inspection(at the end of August) in the process of the
home purchase, turned out to be fine.
But the problem occured after it started to rain in this area.
The roof is now leaking, and about 3-4 feet of the molding along the
bottom of the master room is swelled and wet.
The carpet near that part is soaking wet too.
So, we called the inspector again. The inspector said the vinyl
underneath the roof is probably ripped or something that.
And he was like ...........it's not like the roof is rotten or broken
somewhere, that's why he couldn't catch that, and no one can find it.

Our realtor says it's the inspectors responsibility.
But the inspector says no one is able to catch that kind of problem
because the roof seemed fine from the outside and it wasn't leaking
when he did the inspection.(it wasn't rainy, that's why!)

The realtor said we could sue the inspector, but we really don't want
to take that kind of action.
I am really lost and don't know what to do and who to talk to. Who's
really responsible here? Any idea?
Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
RnR RnR is offline

On 15 Nov 2006 18:36:01 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Realistically, how would you tell by looking at a roof (even closely)
that it would leak??? I could understand if the house showed signs of
leakage already or the roof had an obvious large hole or it was
raining at the time and was leaking. Sometimes, the roof may not leak
in one rain but will in another so it's not an easy thing to always
tell if a roof will leak.

I never really liked roof leaks and tho I'm no roofer or inspector, I
think the easiest / surest was to know if a roof leaks and where, is
to see it actually leak or see the signs of a past leak next.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Just to let everyone know, the roof repair guys came to my place and
they found the problem. The problem wasn't what the inspector expected.
It was because there was about 1 inch diameter hole on the roof. The
repair guys said that a pretty big branch probably hit the roof and
made the hole.
Again, as i said before, I decided to pay for the repair and stop
asking around who's fault it is. Fortunately, it didn't turn out to be
a huge problem so we didn't have to pay too much.

For those people who thought I wasn't reasonable, I guess I wasn't.. a
little.
but think about it.. you paid more than 700K for the house, and your
roof is leaking as soon as the rain starts and the master bedroom is
wet... who can easily be reasonable. It just feels like my mind started
to leak right after finding the leaking roof.
I assume everyone understands the human being's nature, Imperfection.

Anyways, we got the roof repaired and there is no more leaking. Problem
solved!!
Lastly, thanks to everyone who shared my chaotic problem from the
beginning.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

incorporates old growth wood detailed trim all over (all doors and
windows, all moldings

I have that now (oak/chestnut) and it doesnt impress me. Actually I
prefer white molding and trim.
lead-glass beveled and stained windows, copper

gutters

It's easy to buy a few windows as accents and I'll take aluminum
gutters any day as they dont tarnish and last as long/longer

slate roof, hot water radiator heat, etc., for

Slate is nice until it crumbles and no one knows how to fix. I like
the steel roof actualy.. Radiators are nice but then central air is
just an add on. Any old house you describe will lack closet space,
electrical capacity/outlets,may not have master bath at least for $700k
I would like a brand new 5 BR house in the 3500sf range with modern
amentities and a billiiard room for my $700k. Plus I get a 10 year
warranty plus warranties on roofing etc.

They do exist so you dont know real estate well:
http://realtor.com/FindHome/HomeList...1&lnksrc=00001

KLS wrote:
On 18 Nov 2006 05:17:52 -0800, wrote:

For $700k you could have bought a great NEW house even in NJ with some
of the highest prices around. Then when something happens you make a
call and its fixed. Dont moan cuz youre a sucker Ive seen few used
houses I would pay that much for

Nice attitude. Show me a new house for sale in NJ right now that
incorporates old growth wood detailed trim all over (all doors and
windows, all moldings), lead-glass beveled and stained windows, copper
gutters and downspouts, slate roof, hot water radiator heat, etc., for
$700,000. I'm serious. That's what I want in my house, and I can't
get it for $700,00 in new construction.

I don't believe you can provide us with a link to such a treasure.
Something like that would run well over $1,000,000, even much more in
NJ.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

John A. Weeks III wrote:

You may have stopped the leaking, but I am not so sure that the
problem is solved. That water had to go somewhere. It is very
possible that it went down between the walls. This could lead
to the insulation and/or wallboard being wet. No only would
that cause extra heat loss, it could harbor a big colony of
mold. I think you need to trace the path where the water
went, and have the walls opened up for inspection. If there
is indeed inside water damage, that needs to be fixed. A
mold problem could easily lead to serious health problems,
especially if you have children.

Thanks john, I never thought that kind of further problem.
The wet part is getting dried now, but I'll keep your advice in mind
and try to tack
where the water went.. and probably get a fan running.. I hope this
will help...
If I find something serious.. like a sign of the big colony of mold.. I
guess I have to call an inspector.
I hope it won't happen.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote:
For $700k you could have bought a great NEW house even in NJ with some
of the highest prices around. Then when something happens you make a
call and its fixed. Dont moan cuz youre a sucker Ive seen few used
houses I would pay that much for

Obviously, there is a difference between CAD and USD as everyone knows.
Also, like all other canadians, we bought the house with morgage.
I exposed all my information just in order to get some helpful advice
from
other wise and respectful people. Some people may think that amount of
money is huge and some people may not. For me, actually that's a lot of
money and I just hope I can
have that amount of money in my future too.
In this discussion group, I used "I" and "my house" to make it simple.
but actually
it's not mine. I talked on be half of my parents. As far as I know, my
parents have
worked and lived their life very hard and I think they actually deserve
a better house.
I don't know what kind of person you are, but I have no reason to be
called "a sucker".

I said I don't know what kind of person you are. However, I'm pretty
sure your attitude shows very clearly and I think you could be
explained with the word you used to me.

I shared my problem and information to get some help. But it seems like
there is always someone who can't see what the point is.

P.S: To everyone, I'm sorry that I deleted my previous messages. I
really didn't want any further misunderstanding and unpleasant
discussions. But I appreciate everyone who gave me useful advice.