Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default the roof is leaking in my new house, who's responsible?

Hi, i'm just having a hard time figuring out who is responsible for the
leaky roof. I really hope someone can help me on this.
The situation is like this...

We bought a house (about 7 years old) in Surrey, BC, and moved in about
4 weeks ago(at the end of October).
We did a house inspection(at the end of August) in the process of the
home purchase, turned out to be fine.
But the problem occured after it started to rain in this area.
The roof is now leaking, and about 3-4 feet of the molding along the
bottom of the master room is swelled and wet.
The carpet near that part is soaking wet too.
So, we called the inspector again. The inspector said the vinyl
underneath the roof is probably ripped or something that.
And he was like ...........it's not like the roof is rotten or broken
somewhere, that's why he couldn't catch that, and no one can find it.

Our realtor says it's the inspectors responsibility.
But the inspector says no one is able to catch that kind of problem
because the roof seemed fine from the outside and it wasn't leaking
when he did the inspection.(it wasn't rainy, that's why!)

The realtor said we could sue the inspector, but we really don't want
to take that kind of action.
I am really lost and don't know what to do and who to talk to. Who's
really responsible here? Any idea?
Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
oups.com...

We bought a house (about 7 years old) in Surrey, BC, and moved in about
4 weeks ago(at the end of October).
We did a house inspection(at the end of August) in the process of the
home purchase, turned out to be fine.
But the problem occured after it started to rain in this area.
The roof is now leaking, and about 3-4 feet of the molding along the
bottom of the master room is swelled and wet. . . .

Our realtor says it's the inspectors responsibility.
But the inspector says no one is able to catch that kind of problem
because the roof seemed fine from the outside and it wasn't leaking
when he did the inspection.(it wasn't rainy, that's why!)

It appears you did not know leaky roofs on new
houses were much in the news in BC about 10 years
ago --- see back issues of newspapers. It is likely
the Sun or the Province still has a reporter specially
assigned to this topic whom you could consult.

The realtor said we could sue the inspector, but we really don't want
to take that kind of action.

In Ontario, the liability of a private house inspector is
limited to his fee, i.e. you can get your money back if
his inspection was obviously incompetent, but the
inspector is not liable for the cost of repairs he failed
to report.

Since your problem is shared with thousands of other
BC house owners, you should identify their leaky
roof groups (cf. class actions suing for redress) and
see what you can learn. Municipal or provincial
politicians probably know about these groups.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Thanks John and Don for your opinion.
I decided to just let it go. It seems like the more i try to find who's
fault it is, the more I ruin other ppl's feelings as well as ours.. I
guess my case is one of those "things just happen" cases like some ppl
said.
Just hoping I don't end up with an invoice of a large amount money.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

On 15 Nov 2006 18:33:03 -0800, someone wrote:

We bought a house...

I am really lost and don't know what to do and who to talk to. Who's
really responsible here? Any idea?

Uhh yeah pal, I have an idea. YOU ARE.

Don't you know what BOUGHT A HOUSE means?

It's YOUR house now.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

v wrote:
On 15 Nov 2006 18:33:03 -0800, someone wrote:

We bought a house...

I am really lost and don't know what to do and who to talk to. Who's
really responsible here? Any idea?

Uhh yeah pal, I have an idea. YOU ARE.

Unless you can find the Mexicans who put that particular nail, I gota
agree you are.

*new* homes generally have a limited warranty... 1 to 5, 10. years.