Posted to misc.consumers.house
John A. Weeks III John A. Weeks III is offline

Default the roof is leaking in my new house, who's responsible?

In article .com,
wrote:

Hi, i'm just having a hard time figuring out who is responsible for the
leaky roof. I really hope someone can help me on this.
The situation is like this...

At the moment, it is your responsibility. Now that you know about
the problem, it is your duty to get it fixed ASAP so no more
damage happens. Then, once it is fixed, then you can worry about
any past responsibility.

As far as the past goes, the inspector is likely off the hook.
No inspector is going to promise that they will find every
possible defect. But if it was a glaring mistake, then you
may have a case.

You may also have a case against the former owner if they
knew about the problem and failed to disclose it. The hard
part is that you may have to prove that they did in fact
know about the problem.

Some realtors push used home warranties. If you bought one,
the warranty company might take care of it. In other cases,
your home owners insurance might take care of it.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com