Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default snow blower recommendation

I am in the market for a snow blower (1st time buyer) and I would like
to hear some recommendations/experiences from owners.

I live in the northeast US so I can get a lot of snow at times. My
driveway is about 800 feet long with a 10% grade and about 10 feet
wide.

Thanks.

Edward

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Edward" wrote:

I am in the market for a snow blower (1st time buyer) and I would like
to hear some recommendations/experiences from owners.

I live in the northeast US so I can get a lot of snow at times. My
driveway is about 800 feet long with a 10% grade and about 10 feet
wide.

The issue isn't how much snow you get over the season - its how much you get at
a time.

I sure wouldn't be wanting to haul a snowblower back up the hill 8 times each
time it snows. That pretty much drives you to a self propelled unit - preferably
one that will take chains. Honda has a nice trac drive unit, but won't be cheap.
It also means you are into a 2 stage unit as well, which is a good thing.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Rick Blaine" wrote in message
"Edward" wrote:

I am in the market for a snow blower (1st time buyer) and I would like
to hear some recommendations/experiences from owners.

I live in the northeast US so I can get a lot of snow at times. My
driveway is about 800 feet long with a 10% grade and about 10 feet
wide.

The issue isn't how much snow you get over the season - its how much you
get at
a time.

I sure wouldn't be wanting to haul a snowblower back up the hill 8 times
each
time it snows. That pretty much drives you to a self propelled unit -
preferably
one that will take chains. Honda has a nice trac drive unit, but won't be
cheap.
It also means you are into a 2 stage unit as well, which is a good thing.

How about a cheap ugly pickup with a plow in front?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"mrsgator88" wrote:

How about a cheap ugly pickup with a plow in front?

I actually thought about suggesting that! Be cheaper than that trac drive Honda
blower. Brilliant minds think alike, I guess. Just make sure it has a working
4WD...
Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS KLS is offline

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:33:43 -0600, Rick Blaine
wrote:

"mrsgator88" wrote:

How about a cheap ugly pickup with a plow in front?

I actually thought about suggesting that! Be cheaper than that trac drive Honda
blower. Brilliant minds think alike, I guess. Just make sure it has a working
4WD...

Or you could do what a coworker did for years: her husband put a
small plow blade on the front of her Subaru Legacy wagon, and she
would plow out their driveway every morning. The driveway was not
only really long (almost a tenth of a mile), but also very steep, with
a 20 or 30 degree grade. Worked well, last I knew, but now they're
using a decommissioned military Jeep Wrangler for that job.