Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Ariston washer-dryer -- how to use

I just bought an Ariston combo washer-dryer (model AWD121WH in the
U.S.) and I find the manual decidedly un-enlightening. There's a
reasonable amount of information about what each button does, but no
real direction on say, how to do a simple load of laundry. Last night
we tried the first load, and it seemed to still be rinsing or something
after four hours, which seemed excessive.

Is there anyone out there using one of these machines day-to-day who
could tell me what buttons/settings/turnings/clickings they do to run
their laundry? I'm looking for something like this:
[This is only a template, not an actual set of instructions!]
1) Put sorted laundry in the basket and close the door.
2) Put measured detergent liquid into cup number 2.
3) Make sure none of the buttons (extra rinse, low speed etc) are
pushed in.
4) Turn the selector knob to program # 3.
5) Push the knob in.
6) Press the on/off button; this or that light will come on.
7) Your laundry should be done in about three hours, give or take.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me figure out how to work this
marvelous gizmo!

[crossposted to: uk.d-i-y, misc.consumers.house, alt.home.repair]

Jacque

Posted to uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"Jacque" wrote:
[...]

You could also try posting this question in the washing machine section at
http://www.howtomendit.co.uk/ . Regarding "it seemed to still be rinsing or
something after four hours, which seemed excessive", I am not familiar with
the Ariston but I am not aware of any programme that would last that long -
your machine may be faulty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

An update: I spoke with an expert from the shop where I purchased the
unit. [I posted here because he was out that day . . . and the hamper
is filling up . . . ] When I described the symptoms to him, he said
"that sounds like 'suds lock'" and asked me what kind of detergent I
used.

The owners manual does recommend using low-sudsing detergent. Since I
didin't have any, I had used a small quantity of traditional liquid.
Using a small quantity, the expert tells me, is not a replacement for
the low-sudsing (also branded as "high efficiency") powder (not
liquid!). The traditional liquid can get caught or built up in the
drum. The washer was trying to get rid of excess suds by pulling in a
little water, splashing the clothes around in it, then emptying that
water. Assuming this is the correct diagnosis, it might have gone on
for a while.

The remedy? Run a short program with no clothes, just a cup of white
vinegar, to clean out any residual from the first attempt. (No dry
cycle needed, of course.) Use high-efficiency powder in the future.

I ran the vinegar through last night and went out to buy some Tide HE
powder. This morning, I courageously put in a small load of light
colors and a minimal dose of washing powder. I set a nine hour delay
and the short program for cottons. If all goes well, I'll arrive home
tonight to a clean and dry load of laundry.

Would still love to hear from anyone with their experiences, especially
a good step-by-step. If Ariston can't get the manual entirely complete,
at least we can all share our experiences.

Thanks all!

Jacque

Posted to uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Yep, US. Where everything's bigger: SUVs, egos, military ambitions,
suds, washers (my lord, the newest models are HUGE! They sit on these
high pedestals and look like ... like ... I don't know, they're just
HUGE! I'm talking about washers--but it could apply to egos of our
politicians/military leaders, too). But I digress.

Low sudsing detergent has got me on track. I've been able to wash two
loads with mostly success. Yesterday evening came home to a load of
laundry that had just finished drying, very nice indeed!

Still figuring out the delayed start thing, and what the various
variants of buttons do. Tried to start a load this morning that would
finish up this evening, much like yesterday. After I thought I had set
the delay time, I set the wash program . . . and it started right up.
sigh It'll be clean tonight. A bit wrinkled, perhaps, but clean.

Jacque

Posted to uk.d-i-y,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"Jacque" wrote in message
oups.com...

Still figuring out the delayed start thing, and what the various
variants of buttons do. Tried to start a load this morning that would
finish up this evening, much like yesterday. After I thought I had set
the delay time, I set the wash program . . . and it started right up.
sigh It'll be clean tonight. A bit wrinkled, perhaps, but clean.

I haven't got your model but a German designed one with delayed timer.
The control are to my mind counter-intuitive as one has to set the wash
required ... temperature, intensity (harsh, delicate, hand ... ) then spin
requirements .... then press the 'start' button -which is back up towards
the top of the panel.
If a delayed start is required then 'Delay' button has to be pressed and the
desired-hours-delay incremented by repeat pressings ... then ... the 'Start'
button needs to be pressed.
This 'set delay' ... then press 'start'; is a feature common to the,
different manufacturers, washing-machine, dishwasher and tumble-dryer.

--

Brian

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Yeah, there are things about this machine that are really bugging me...
1) I bought it because it seemed cool... Now I see that it's a gadget,
and as such I have been duped into doing all the laundry since we got
the machine. -- That's a joke, at least I mean it to be funny. I
_have_ been doing all the laundry, because I consider it a technical
challenge to learn how to work the machine, just like I always set up
the computer, put together the stereo, program the TV...
2) The manual is bad.
3) I don't get the delayed start feature. This morning, I thought I
followed the manual's directions (see #2) to program a three-hour
delay. As soon as I stood up from pushing all the buttons, the machine
started to fill... d'oh!
4) I really don't think having so many of the functions controlled by
one knob is the right way. In the past, you set the type of wash you
were doing with that single knob because it actually turned like a
clock and controlled a number of rotary switches to activate various
parts of the machine. There is NO need to continue that interface now
that the actual working of the machine are controlled by a
microprocessor. The familiar interface is not ALWAYS the best
interface.
5) There is so little feedback on how much time might be left. This is
okay during wash/rinse/spin, as I understand the machine may extend
those times based on the conditions inside the drum. But there's no
reason the machine can't tell me how much longer it will run the drying
cycle: that's a set time, and the machine could tell me how much is
left.

Maybe this is why the Ariston is nearly half the price of the LG
machine...

(I've stopped the cross-posting, as it now seems excessive)

Jacque